Chapter Ten

Thea stood there gaping like a fish out of water. Before I could say anything she turned and quietly closed the door, before rounding onto me.

"What the hell are you?" Her eyes held suspicion, wariness, surprise.

"I-" I looked away not knowing what to do. I didn't want to admit my secret so easily but I truly didn't have any other choice.

"I'm a mermaid." I sighed looking at her. She took a step back.

"You're a what? A mermaid? How is that even possible."
I shrugged not really knowing the answer to that.

"You're a werewolf, what's the difference?" It was so easy for me to accept the whole werewolf thing, but it seemed to be very difficult for Thea to comprehend my heritage.

"What's the difference? You can't be serious. I've grown up thinking that werewolves were special, the only supernatural force that ever lived and now I find out there are mermaids. Fucking mermaids! It's completely insane!" She exclaimed throwing her hand up into the air.

I was about to speak when there came a knock on the door. The lovely ocean scent of Aran filled my nose.

"You're telling me everything at the mall." Thea whispered before she yanked open the door, to reveal her bored looking older brother.

"You guys have been in here for ages! What were you doing?"

Thea smiled goofily, "oh we were just cleaning up the spilled water." She gestured to the now dry bathroom. I nodded at him, my eyes slightly narrowing from the smile I placed on my face. His eyes darted between us before he sighed saying, "alright well come on, the food will get cold."

Without another word Thea pushed her way past Aran to walk down the stairs. I looked at Aran and he offered my his arm, like a gentleman. I took it and together we descended the stairs.

"I'm sorry for startling you earlier." He murmured to me.

I glanced sideways at him, "it's okay, you didn't mean it." He nodded before pulling me closer to him, I could feel the warmth of his body, smell the scent of the cool ocean that radiated off of him.

"Would you two hurry the hell up! I'm starving." Aran and I chuckled at the shrill voice of Thea.

                              ****
The mall was enormous. Thea and I were currently walking around as she explained to me what a mall was. It felt as if the human life revolved around this mall, there were so many people. Each store held something different; from clothing to shoes to random things essential to the human life style. 

Thea laughed at the amazed expression on my face. Aran hadn't been able to accompany us, claiming he had business--having to do with the pack--to attend to.

We were heading to a store Thea had mentioned when she asked me, "so tell me about mermaids."

I looked at her, "what do you want to know?"

"Is it true that the second water touches you, you shift?"

"No, we choose when we want to shift, but water does have an effect on us. It makes our desire to shift much harder to resist."

Thea's mouth formed a small oh.
"What's life like under the sea?"

I considered my answer before responding. "For you it would probably be fantastic, but for me it was boring. I live in a kingdom governed by a king and a queen as any kingdom is. Under the water we never worried about what clothes we wore or how we looked because first, we didn't wear clothes, second the way we looked just never really crossed our minds."