(Edited) Chapter 26 & 27

Start from the beginning

By nine that night, I was back at home, curled up in my bed, ready to fall asleep. Little did I know of the nightmare tomorrow would bring.

*

The staring begins as soon as I enter the school premises. "What is it now!?" I mutter under my breath, feeling extremely annoyed. I was getting really sick of this. Couldn't someone just come forward and tell me.

And then someone did; two someones—Kayla & Sandra.

"When were you going to tell us?!" They exclaim as soon as they see me.

"Tell you what?" I ask, genuinely perplexed.

"That you & William are dating!"

I gape at the two of them. "How—how do you know we—Did you see us together?"

"What? No!"

"Doesn't matter anyway. Everyone knows you both are dating," Sandra explains.

"But how?"

"Aren't you on Instagram?"

"No, I'm not very photogenic, remember? What's that got to do with it anyway?"

"Everything," Sharon pipes in, suddenly arriving out of the blue. "Here, check it out," she hands me her cell phone.

I look at the screen and feel the air leave my body. It's that picture of us—William and my selfie from last night. William uploaded it on Instagram. There's also a caption beneath it which says:

'Went on another date with this beautiful lady last night. Had an amazing time. #Selfie #WeLookSoGoodTogether'

I don't know how to react. On one hand, I feel really flattered knowing he thinks I'm beautiful, and that he's showing off the fact that we're dating. But, that's the problem, we're not dating. It was just two dates and if I have my way, there won't be any more. But now William has blown things out of proportion and everyone thinks we're together or something.

Before I can fully react, the school bell lets out a shrill, piercing noise that tears through the entirety of the school. First period has just begun.

I hand Sharon her phone back. "Ugh, nevermind. I'll deal with this later. I need to get to class."

"See you in lunch! We'll be waiting for the juicy details," Kayla teases before bidding me goodbye.

I almost run to the class I have to be at. I was worried someone would stop me and ask me if it was really true, if William and I were together. But turns out, my problems wouldn't stop when class would start. It would only get worse.

As if everyone's reaction wasn't enough, Aiden decides to start acting like a jerk.

I see him sitting across the room, in the front, with his back against the wall, sitting sideways. I feel his gaze follow me, as I make my way through the classroom. When I look up to meet his eyes, he quickly turns away, his visage a cold uncaring mask.

I decide to ignore his weird behavior for now, and take a seat at the back of the classroom. The teacher drawls on and on about the structure of atom—about protons, electrons and quantum numbers. I feel my eyes getting heavy; sleep slowly creeping upon me.

If I could just keep my eyes open for another fifteen minutes...this class is almost over.

*

I slowly open my eyes.

Empty. The classroom is empty.

Alarmed, I fish out my phone and look at the time. It's been ten minutes since second period started.