Hadrien had drove around all night. He went home to a still empty house. He sat on the sofa, then dozed off. A knocking at the door woke him up. It was morning, and he went to the bedroom to see if Victorine was home. The bed was still perfect. He went back to the knocking and opened the door. A young man with braids and a goatee stood at the door with a breakfast plate lunch from Mother's. " Victorine in?", he asked after nodding hello. "We had an appointment."

Hadrien was about to tell him that he'd have to come back later, when Dreeky pulled up and out hopped Victorine. The client looked at her a little too long. " Hadrien! Sweetheart! I can explain. It was about business, and I'm okay." She turned to her client and said,"You gonna have to come back later, O'Shea." He gave a fake frown, then handed her the plate lunch. " Thought you'd like a little Mother's ", he said, licking his lips. " One hour," she said, then he left.

Victorine went to her bar counter and placed the plate lunch down, opening to find a shrimp omelette with grits and a huge, fluffy biscuit. " You want some babe?," she asked shakily. Hadrien let her have it. He tried to be calm, but he lost it when she started raving over the food. "What the hell happened, Victorine? I tried calling you all night! I thought you were dead", he blurted out, then bust out crying. Victorine felt horrible. She held him as he wept. How could she tell him? What could she tell him?

"I'm so sorry love. I lost track of the time! I had a few drinks trying to impress Beyonce'! I'm nothing compared to those stars, baby! I wanted to fit in, and not be a hoodoo for once!" Tears streamed her face. Hadrien felt bad for her. He kissed her tears and brought her to the bedroom.

Victorine had gotten away with it! Hadrien left to go run errands for TonTon and Mrs. Cecile after he ravaged her unlike no other time they had been together. The thought of losing her brought him to the realization that he did love her......

Walking along Desplonde Ave., a local newspaper caught his eye. There on the cover was Victorine, in the arms of the singer August Alsina, on their way into Hotel Monteleone....and one of them necking in an elevator. Hadrien's heart slugged. He couldn't believe she could lie so easily to him. And all this while, he had felt guilty about his feelings for Teta. Mrs. Cecile noticed he was feeling down. " You know son, sometimes you gotta take chances in life, before its too late." He took her warm words to heart. He gave her a hug, then left. He drove to Teta's. He found her inside on her sofa, smoking. She looked at him, then motioned for him to sit. He advanced upon her, kissing her hard. She allowed his kisses, then broke her mouth away from his. " What's happened, eh?", she asked, but she already knew.

Hadrien told her the whole tea, from how he went along with the facade to please others, to how he didn't mean to tell Victorine he loved her, and also how ironic it was that when he finally began to feel something genuine for Victorine, she fucked it all up. Teta felt sorry for him, but she wasn't going to bed him just because he found his woman out. She finished her weed with him, then went into the kitchen to fix him something to eat. She returned holding a bowl of gumbo and a bottle of water. " I got customers coming",  she whispered closely. He felt his heat rise.

When he went home to Victorine, his emotions were soaring. He wanted to confront her about August Alsina, but when he walked in, there Victorine was, in a sexy pantsuit. There were lit candles and rose petals. The table was set with a King's meal of smoked oysters and shrimp remoulade. Chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to finish. Victorine sat him down, then grabbed a strawberry. " Here, taste," she coaxed, knowing she had fixed the entire meal. She had to make him forget what she had done. She hung the strawberry over his mouth and he bit, chewing slowly. Victorine slid her tongue into his mouth, joining in on the strawberry. He kissed her back, searching her mouth. They enjoyed their dinner then went to bed, where Victorine took charge. After they were spent and he fell asleep, Victorine wiped his juices off with his boxers. She crept into Big Nainan's old room and placed his boxers in a ziplock bag and hid them. She went back to bed.
*************************************************************

It was Mrs. Cecile's birthday, and Teta was catering the dinner. Teta prepared a huge dish of stuffed bell peppers. She toiled over her stove, sweating, getting the other dishes done. Her mamma had taught her how to cook.