Chapter 18 - Moment of Truth

Start from the beginning

Just as I was keeping some extra money in my purse, I heard a knock on the door. I stuffed whatever I had in my hand into my purse and walked to the door. When I opened it, I was greeted by a firm hug from none other than Hiru.

He let me go moments later smiling widely. "Yuki! We're back from the festival! We got back yesterday....it was a really nice festival! It was really fun but it would have been more fun if you were there with me! I really missed you these three days! And you know, I got to.....Yuki? Are you okay?" He paused talking when he realized that I hadn't reacted to what he was talking about.

He cupped my face in his hands and touched the slight bags I had under my eyes gently with his thumbs. I looked to the side as I pulled his hands away from my face. I gave a sigh, forcing a smile onto my face despite the many emotions I felt for Hiru at the moment.

"I'm fine, Hiru. I just didn't get enough sleep last night." I said and stepped aside to let him in. I didn't want to because I was still uneasy about everything I had gotten to know but I didn't want to be rude. After all, he and Hitoshi san had helped me a lot when I shifted here.

"You couldn't sleep? What's wrong? Did something happen?" He asked slightly worried.

I smiled again and shook my head. "No, its nothing you need to worry about. My brothers just have a cold and fever. We were playing in the stream yesterday and we didn't dry off properly. I was worried so I wasn't able to sleep much. I was just about to take them to see the doctor."

"Oh! Why don't I come with you? It will be better if there's someone with you." Hiru caressed my head. I didn't really have any reason to refuse now because I did feel reassured with having someone with me; even if it was Hiru.

"Thank you, Hiru. Can you carry Akio? Arata is a little restless....he's not taking this as easily as Akio so I think its better if he's with me." Hiru nodded and we walked to the couch where my brothers were.

I picked up Arata and he immediately clung to me sniffling. Hiru picked up Akio and he settled with his eyes closed and his head against Hiru's shoulder. I made sure both of them had a blanket over them and we headed out the house and into the streets.

Just as I had thought of before, I informed Namiko san about my situation on the way. She only scolded me saying that I could have gone to her and asked for her help last night. She had ignored Hiru today, which was surprising, as she fussed over my brothers. It made me happy to see that she was worried for me.

Once we got to the doctor's clinic, we sat down in the waiting room with two other patients. Arata and Akio were sitting on our laps facing us and holding our sides as they cuddled into us to keep warm.

The other people in the waiting room kept giving nervous stares at Hiru. They made sure they made no eye contact with him and even shifted to get as far as possible from him. I looked up and out of the window, lost in thought. Hitoshi san and Hiru were not only feared by all the people in the town but Juo himself. He didn't say anything about being abused by them but he agreed that he lived with them. well, the former was pretty obvious even if he didn't answer.

But....was it really possible for Hiru and Hitoshi san to be so cruel?

I glanced at Hiru sitting next to me. He gave me a warm smile making me wonder what he was thinking behind that smile. Was he really hiding a façade that I didn't know?

Barely a few days after I started working at the vegetable shop, Namiko san had told me to stay away from Hiru. She had told me not to get involved too much with him or Hitoshi san. There were many things that I didn't know about this town and the reason for his kindness towards me wasn't because he actually cared. It was for some hidden motive. She had even told me that it would be best if I left this town once Arata and Akio were a few years older.