Chapter 49

Savage shook their hands, clapping them on the shoulder and sat down, taking the blue folder from Autumn and opening it to the band’s bios and removed the demo CD from it’s plastic sleeve and handed it to Autumn.

“Autumn will play you a sample of the first single I plan to have them release. There’s something missing from it but I can’t quite put my finger on it, maybe you can solve the mystery.” Sav’s cell phone suddenly rang and he pulled it from his hip and looked at the caller ID.

“I need to get this, I’ll be right back.” Sav slid from the booth and walked over to a table a couple of feet away where no one sat and settled back against the wooden bench.

“Hey baby, I was going to call you later. Joe told me you broke your leg. I hope you’re okay luv. I’ve been worried about you.” Sav lit a cigarette and tucked the lighter into his blue silk shirt.

Sapph shifted on the sofa, flipping through the channels on the telly and gave up, tossing the remote on the end of the sofa at her feet. Joe had gone to the store to get them something for dessert so she was alone. “Yeah, it was really dumb. I was out walking and I tripped. That’s what happens when I go out after dark.”

Sav had to approach this carefully if he didn’t want her to become guarded. “What were you doing out after dark luv? You know I don’t like it when you go out alone at night. Where did this happen?”

Sapph bit her lip, wondering if she should tell him where she was but then decided she’d rather be honest. “Umm, I was at Joe’s. He invited me for dinner so I wouldn’t be alone and I went for a walk and got lost and fell.”

Sav’s jaw clenched, the muscles in his arm tightening as he curled his fingers into a fist. “I’m sorry baby. It’s my fault that I left you alone. I wish I hadn’t had to go out of town on business but I’ll be home in a few days. Where are you at now?”

Sapph’s heart jumped in her chest, pulling the sheet up around her nakedness and snapped her head up when she heard the front door and she immediately put her hand over the phone so Sav wouldn’t hear Joe come in.

Joe walked over, leaning down and kissed her tenderly, pulling the blanket back slightly and ran his hand across her breast. “I love you.” He whispered softly in her ear and pulled back, handing her the small paper bag.