Chapter 37

“Well, I should have seen this one coming but I didn’t. I’ve always known Sapph loved you and surprisingly I am not even pissed off at her because I know how deeply she feels for you and she’s probably acting out of her emotions but you have no excuse Joe. You’ve fucking known how she’s felt about you for the last four-years. What galls me is you haven’t given one thought to what this is going to do to Sav.”

“He loves Sapphire as deeply as she loves you and you’re his best friend. Do you even CARE what this is going to do to him?” Kristine brushed her pink manicured finger across her damp lashes and swallowed the thick hard lump in her throat, made up of betrayal and heartache. 

“I love her Kristine. I always have, I just didn’t realize it until recently. We’ve always been friends and I thought that’s all I wanted but I love her more than anything. I love you too though. I never meant for any of this to happen but it did and there’s no going back. I’m willing to face the consequences of my actions but I want to be with her Kris. I don’t know what to say, except I’m sorry.” Joe lifted his eyes to see Sapphire standing in the doorway, perched on her crutches and looking at him with worry embedded in her crystal blue eyes. 

“Well, sorry just doesn’t cut it anymore. You’ve lied to me and you’ve betrayed me and your best friend. You’re going to have to live with that for the rest of your life. Sapphire’s got two young children for God’s Sake.”

“What is this going to do to them when they learn their mother won’t be living at home anymore with Daddy because she is with someone else? When did you plan to tell me Joe, or Savage for that matter?” Kristine felt hurt but she’d get over it. Those young children could possibly be scarred for life because Joe and Sapphire chose to act on their desires.

“Kris, truthfully, I wanted to keep this a secret but I know that was wrong and I’m planning to tell Sav as soon as possible, when he gets back from London.” Joe actually wasn’t sure he could do it but he owed it to Sav and to Kris.

“I’ve moved out Joe. I put my things in storage until I find a place to live in the states and then I’ll have it shipped. You don’t have to hide out anymore. You and Sapphire can go back to your house and have your torrid little affair, just don’t expect me to be understanding and accept it because I loved you and you destroyed that by sleeping with her and lying to me.” Kristine always had the feeling Joe loved Sapphire but he never voiced it until today.

“I’m sorry baby. I mean that sincerely.” Joe said softly, looking at Sapph. 

“Goodbye Joe, it’s been a slice.” Kristine said gruffly, pressing end on her phone.