Chapter 32

Before marrying Sav, Sapph wished more than anything for Joe to see her in a different light and they could be together and now they were each married to someone else and they’d just cheated on their spouses.

How would she face Sav again? How could she face her children? Granted, they were both too young to understand but the fact remained she had two young children that depended on her for everything and in a sense, she’d betrayed them too because this would affect them by having Sav angry with her.

Sapph didn’t even want to think about what would happen between Joe and Sav. It was bad enough that she’d used Sav the first time they were together and she’d come to the conclusion that she wanted to get back at Joe for marrying Kristine. She’d hurt Sav before they had even become serious and she was about to do it again.

Maybe Joe was right, Sav wouldn’t have to know but he was a smart cookie, he’d figure it out. Sapph looked up, squinting her eyes in the darkness and tried to determine where she was, she didn’t know.

Her heart began to pound. She wasn’t familiar with this area and she hadn’t paid attention to where she came down. Looking around her, she couldn’t determine one trail from another and there were no lights coming from the surrounding houses.

“DAMN IT SAPPH, how could you be so stupid? How am I supposed to get back?”  If there was one thing she hated more, it was being alone in the dark. Suddenly, she heard a noise coming toward her. Swallowing hard, she bolted and ran down the beach, her heart beating wildly in her chest and she felt the ground leave her feet as she tripped, falling head over heels over what felt like a huge boulder.

Sapphire screamed in pain but the intense heat that shot up her leg did little to take her mind off the looming shadow that came closer and reached for her. “GOD PLEASE, DON”T HURT ME.”

She burst into tears, fear flooding into every pore as the hand grabbed her. “No, please.” Sapphire struggled but the hand held fast and gently pulled her up.

“Sssh baby, it’s me Joe. It’s okay, come on. Are you hurt?” Joe whispered in the darkness and knelt down in front of her.

Sapph began shaking and sunk into his arms. “God Joe, I was so scared. I got lost and I didn’t know how to get back. Then I heard you and thought someone was after me. I think I’m alright but my leg hurts like a bitch.”