Chapter Thirty Six We Won - A Ball

Too bright. ~~The first thought that crossed Janavi's mind in the past 2 hours. She blinked furiously to adjust her eyes to the light in the room. She could hear Rikhil's voice nearby.

"Ri.." She called in what was nothing more than a hoarse whisper.

She could hear him say something but it was difficult to decipher it into more than just meaningless ramble mumbles.

She struggled to bring her attention and focus to the present. The lights were blinding. She rambled about the brightness of the light and within minutes it was turned out. The next minute she felt a glass at her lips and gratefully sipped the water out of it before collapsing back into her pillows and mumbling a thank you.

The cool liquid gave her a better sense of stability to her situation and now she was well aware that she was in their apartment, on their bed with Rikhil next to her. She felt soft and wet lips graze her forehead before Rikhil's fingers intertwined with hers. She could hear the very audible sigh that left his lips.

"Janasvi... Janasvi... I don't know whether I should congratulate you or reprimand you... You risked your life out there... I don't know how I hadn't noticed earlier... I'm so mad at you but I'm also proud of you that because of your hard work and commitment, we won the dance couple of the year award. But I still can't let go of the fact that you put your life on the line out there. Nothing holds more importance to me than your safety. Don't you dare endanger yourself like this again. Remember, now you're carrying my heart and life with you. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you." Rikhil lay his head in Janasvi's lap as if she was the only support he could hang on to for dear life. Not knowing what to say, or not feeling the need for words, Janasvi just kneaded her fingers through his hair as a form of assurance of her presence. Slowly, they cuddled into each other and fell asleep.

***************************

The next day, they woke up to a lazy morning at around 10. Rikhil insisted on helping Janasvi shower, because she could hardly stand on her feet after the merciless tortures of the glass shards; and cooking her brunch. He didn't even let her help clean up after the meal. Janasvi long gave up arguing with Rikhil over it. She knew that she was being pampered because of the stunt she'd pulled the day before and there was no way she could have talked him out of it. Rather, having given up, she had succumbed to the pampering and was now lounging on the bed, watching criminal minds. She didn't want to worry herself by thinking of the other reason as to why she was being pampered so much. It was because now that everything was done, it was time to go back. They were heading home in three days. They had a night time flight so they'd still have the third day to themselves. Knowing that this day was approaching but was inevitable, both had been working on their bags but decided against talking about it as they were looking to a future together after they'd returned to their country, despite all odds. After their return, their fate was going to be decided by their families. She had no idea what she would do if her family refused. Their bags were almost done, mainly toiletries and her make up and prom dress up items were left. There was a ball to be held tonight, to honor the winners of the dance couple of the year award. It was to be held yesterday but seeing the strain everyone had already been through, they postponed it for a day. Plus, it wouldn't have served its purpose if the awardees weren't present. Janasvi was so excited for this night.

Rikhil came around the counter and handed Janasvi a pack of paracetamol, to which Janasvi made a face.

"No!!! I'm tired of 'em."

Rikhil headed back into the kitchen and returned within 5 minutes, holding a tray with an extra fudge chocolate brownie, dark chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate channeled sauce over it. He waved the tray almost into Janasvi's face, successfully having diverted her attention from criminal minds. Janasvi was now pouting like a 5 year old denied a lollipop until she drank her meds. Reluctantly she did. It was so worth it after all. She savored the taste out of every bite.

***********************

"Oh hold your horses, mahn. I'm a girl and so I'm to be given every right to take my time getting ready." Janasvi called from inside the bathroom as she stuck out her tongue at the closed bathroom door. She was at the moment, dressed in a long flowing ankle length plum dress with a design on the upper half only. It was elegantly made as it wasn't too flashy but carried elegance with it. Janasvi had been battling her eyeliner for 10 mins now and had as good as no progress. Eyeliner wasn't her everyday thing but a once in a while winged look always took the cake. Finally fed up, she dug into the bathroom draw until she found a small roll of tape which she used to shape her eye liner.

Finally a satisfied grin spread over Janasvi's face as she scrutinized herself in the mirror.

Knock. Knock.

"Oh come on out already. We don't wanna get there after all is over you know. After all because it's meant in our honor."

Nervous, Janasvi slowly opened the door, having gained Rikhil's entire focus. Unable to bear the heat in his gaze, Janasvi bit her lip.

Rikhil took a step closer to her. Janasvi's heart was in her throat by the pressure of proximity. Rikhil bent forwards and bit her lip slightly, pulling it out from under her teeth. At her attempt to object, "Shhh... You look gorgeous... I swear if we didn't have a ball to be at, I'd take you right here." He kissed her lips as she turned scarlet. "Before I forget, I brought you something." He removed a small box from his draw and opened it to reveal a beautiful Corsage. Rikhil pinned it to her dress for her before clicking a picture of her  followed by a selfie. These days his phone was filled with pictures of them. He'd maxed on space because of all the pictures he'd clicked by far.

Once satisfied, they left arm in arm for the ball.