Two: Fearless or Fearful?

It's like time froze. Everything happening at the party around me didn't seem to matter during this moment, right now.

"Derick..."

Was all I could say through the lump that formed in my throat, I try to swallow it down but it doesn't bother to fade. His eyes full of surprise, stare into mine, my heart accelerates and my first instinct, which is what I go with: Run.
I make my past him and gracefully flutter down the stairs, letting my free hand slip down the elegant hard dark wood. I can hear him even though the music and commotion, rush after me.
"Airia!" "Airia!"
my breathing went to panting now as I make a sharp cut to the patio, sliding the party shut behind me. Gasping for air, I couldn't stop now, I rush through the garden, using the rest of my energy that I had in me. My heel on my left foot decides to give up on me and breaks, I throw them off as I slump in a wooden bench. In front of me, a bush of fresh roses, ready to open any minute.

"Why, why did you run?" My mind asks me.

"I don't know"

I answer myself, I drop my clutch next to me, slowly catching my breath. The image of his face still remained in my mind, I set my empty glass next to my shoes. Why did it have to be him? Him as the host? I didn't want this... "No..."
I tell myself, I put my face in my hands, taking deep breaths, but it wasn't helping. "Airia!" I perk up by the sound of grass by someone's foot steps. I get my things but I'm too late.

"Airia..."
I hear, soft and mellow, it was him again. "Don't give in, leave now" My mind tells me. But I can't, my legs feel like an ice sculpture on display, I let out a deep breath, as the night grows on. He walks around the corner, my breathing is somehow controlled.

"It's been so long Airia..." He starts, taking a few steps, his voice sounds smooth like velvet, I look away and watch the earth's floor.

"Wow, look at you.." . I close my eyes then open them again,

"Why are you here?" I ask sharply, I just couldn't lift my face up to look at him.

"I saw you back there, and I thought... I just... I needed a better view of you"

That's not what I expected from him. "I saw you with Bruce, you looked like you needed help" He continues.

He runs his fingers through his hair, so shiny and full of volume. "I didn't" I mutter, "I was handling it myself" He puts a hand in his pocket

"Yeah well it didn't seem like it"

His tone was serious, stern. He steps closer, "I have one question for you" He says, picking a rose from the bush and twirls it with his fingers. I look at him softly, he looks up at me,

"Why'd you leave without saying good-bye?"

I knew this was coming, I felt it in my gut, I push a bang away from my face. "I didn't... I didn't have a choice." I murmur softly.

He turns away closing his eyes, "You DID have a choice!"

He spat, I flinch. "I don't know what you want from me Derick" I close my eyes