chapter twenty one

- Year Eighteen, December, Fate -

Eliza never believed in fate.

The one time she had, the two people she had trusted most had betrayed her.

It was during this time that she found comfort in the two people who had previously abandoned her.

One of them, her soon to be husband, stood infront of her now.

The other sat only a few feet away, dabbing at her eyes.

For the past year, she had waited for a sign that what she was doing was wrong.

She had waited for Chance to beg to be back in her life again.

That time never came. There was no sign, as there was no fate.

"Do You, Eliza Burke, take William Penn to be your lawfully wedded huband?"

She paused, her eyes fluttering over the smiling faces surrounding her, waiting for the two words to leave her mouth.

She kept looking between William and the door.

Each time their eyes met, he looked more worried. Confused, even. His eyes were silently pleading with her, their friends and family surrounding them.

Just as her mouth finally opened, there was a loud clammer of voices as an old car flew onto the ground off of the small dirt road, the driver flinging the door open.

As soon as the word "wait" left his mouth, she had began running towards the boy who she could never forget.