chapter ten *

[Published on June 7th, 2016]

- Year Ten, October 3rd, The Day of the Storm -

- trigger warning : the next few chapters will discuss cases of abuse and domestic violence. it will only be mentioned, not actually shown, as the story revolves around what Eliza is directly witnessing. From here on, i will put a * next to any chapter that revolves around sensitive topics. -

It was storming outside, thunder crashing every few minutes with enough power to shake the house from the foundation to the roof. Eliza was curled up next to her electrical fireplace, the warmth radiating off of the flames calming her shivering form. Her dad was out of town, of course, and she was home alone to deal with her fear of lightning storms alone.

When a knock at the door sounded, Eliza almost jumped so high that she fell off of the couch. "Ah, C-Coming!"She screamed, stumbling towards the door while somehow keeping her thick blanket cocoon around her body. She threw the door open to see Chance standing at the door, lightning flashing behind him as their eyes met.

"Chance..." She started as he pushed past her, each step he took leaving a trail of water behind him, the liquid drenching the floor. "Chance, where have you been?" She grabbed his arm, pulling him to a stop. If he had come to her house, she wasn't going to allow him to just ignore her.

When he turned to face her, she couldn't breathe. Half of his face was swollen and purple, but all of it was dripping a mixture of warm blood and cold rain. When she stretched her fingers out to touch his skin, he flinched away as if her touch hurt him.

Who had hurt him?

"Was this your father?" Eliza whispered, letting her hand slowly drop down to her side.

He didn't respond, but he didn't have to. She knew the answer.

She wrapped her arms around his still body, and after a considerable amount of time had passed where she only heard the rain pouring down outside, she heard it.

The sniffle.

The show of emotion coming from Chance that wasn't flirty or playful. The sign of the true impact of the events that had just happened.

It no longer was rain dripping off his face and into her hair. The drops she was feeling...they were the tears of someone who had finally broken.

His face was then buried in her hair, his sobs no longer attempting to hold them inside.

When he finally calmed down, Eliza dared to talk, their responses quickly turning into a volley, back and forth.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"If you need someone to talk to..."

"I won't."

"You should really tell someone."

"It would break mom's heart."

"And this isn't?"

"She loves him."

"And she loves you."

"Can we just watch a movie or something?"

"..."

"I can't talk about this. Please, Eliza."

"Fine."

When he finally fell asleep halfway through the movie, Eliza wiped away his silent tears and kissed his forehead.

Even though she would not admit it to anyone else, she silently agreed to herself that this was the man she would marry one day. She had to protect him.

And so, she picked up the phone and dialed three numbers as she carefully walked out of the room.

"Hello, I'd like to report a domestic violence incident...Yes, he is with me...The abuser is at the location where it happened...5723 Ruby Blossom Road."

He would hate her.

She wouldn't regret a single thing.

A.n.

This was really hard for me to write about, but it is vital to mention to develop Chance's character. He is always acting happy and childish, yet he rarely actually is happy. This will also explain some of his future actions.

Thank you.

Please comment,vote,add to your reading lists,etc.