chapter eight

[Published on June 6th, 2016]

- Year Ten, September 23rd, Eliza's birthday -

Eliza was convinced that if she acted like today was any other day that no one would try to force her to celebrate her birthday. Since the day her mom had abandoned her, she hadn't truly found a reason to celebrate.

There wasn't really a point anymore in trying.

She didn't want to die, of course, but she sure did not want to live the hand that she was given in life.

What kind of life were you living when your only joy came from a boy that wasn't even yours?

"He'll come around. He's so into you. Anyone could see that you guys are like soulmates." Kendall had assured her the night before, and it had comforted her frustrated heart for a few moments, but then she had gotten a text from Chance and seeing his name sent her into a panic once more.

She was falling apart.

And the constant texts from William weren't helping much. Kendall had started yet another fling with him, and now they were both pushing for a double date, ignoring the fact that her and Chance were not a couple.

He was walking up to her now, and she shut her locker as she turned to face him. "Hello, Mr.Stevens." She grinned up at him as he leaned above her, his elbow resting against the locker next to her.

"And hello to you, Mrs.Stevens." Had he just...he had. She felt blood rush to her face, and the smirk on his face alerted her that this was his intended result. "What, you don't think it'll happen one day?"

Eliza wouldn't admit it outloud, but she couldn't stop thinking about any possible future they might have. She imagined having a cat and a large apartment in the city with large windows. She pictured trips to amusement parks and a honeymoon around the world. She imagined being happy.

And yet they weren't even dating.

Or were they? Was she just that oblivious to their relationship?

"Eliza Burke," He started, leaning down until she could feel his breath against her lips. "Even if you don't end up with me first, I won't let you marry anyone else. I'll interrupt every wedding. I'll follow you to the end of the earth. I'll never leave you in a life without me. Ever." She almost thought he was going to kiss her, but then he pushed back suddenly, walking backwards away from her.

She almost thought she was in the clear, but then his smirk evolved into a full grin. "Oh, and I almost forgot! Happy birthday! You'll be so excited when you see what I have planned for later. It's great." He said, clapping his hands together once before turning on his heels and disappearing into the crowded hallway.

---

Eliza didn't hear anything from Chance until five o'clock that night. It was beautiful outside, the sky clear and the wind just gentle enough to be comforting.

He showed up on her porch with a basket and a blanket as soon as the old clock in the hallway chimed to announce the change of the hour.

When she opened the door, a bouquet of flowers in his arms, and then in her arms. And then he had her hand in his, pulling her towards the park. "I made sure to come early, so you haven't had dinner yet, right?"

She shook her head and he smiled back at her. "Good, because my mom helped me cook." He seemed so proud of himself, and Eliza gripped his hand tighter, afraid that he'd let go.

It turns out the "meal" his mom helped him cook consisted of a dessert buffet, complete with three different cakes (angel food with lemon frosting, chocolate with strawberry frosting, pound cake with white chocolate frosting), brownies, and a variety of cookies.

It was a sugary heaven that Eliza wanted to indulge herself on for as long as possible.

But eventually, they had somehow finished every last bite, and with their stomachs bulging full of calories and sugary sweets they laid down next to one another on the picnic blanket.

"Hey, Eliza?" He eventually said. She could feel two things; his fingers brushing against his and the hesitation that caused his voice to shake.

"Yes?" She responded, slowly inching her fingers overtop of his outstretched ones. He immediately wrapped his long fingers between her shorter ones, causing a warm shimmer to slide its way up her arm and throughout her entire body.

"You know how I feel about you, right?"

"I think so."

"Then please be patient with me." He exhaled, squeezing her hand. "Please wait for me to be ready for this. As soon as he leaves again, I'll be able to focus on you. I promise."

Chance had shared bits and pieces of his life with Eliza, but she had never fully been let in.

All she knew was that his dad was home, and that they did not get along. She had seen the formation of a bruise once, but she didn't want to bring it up in fear of him withdrawing from her.

When his dad left, Chance was happier. Eliza was finally allowed to come over to his house again. It was like a breath of fresh air breezed into their lives.

She should have said something, but she didn't. She couldn't rewrite her past, she could only write her future.

"I promise that I'll always be here, Chance." She finally whispered back, rolling over to look at him, the sky setting above them as the day faded into the night.

A.n.
So, I'm estimating that this is about the one-fourth mark of this book, meaning that we're about 25% done watching the journey!

As I'm quickly getting closer and closer to 100 reads, I'm ecstatic. I know it isn't a big deal in comparison to other books, but it means a lot to me, and it means that this is going somewhere. So thank you. Please don't forget to vote, comment, etc.