Chapter 24: The Morning After

Axel's Pov

"No! You can't tell anyone!" Ryan's voice startled me awake.  " Promise me you won't tell..." Having turned in the middle of the night, her face was now buried in my chest. I wrapped my arms tighter around her, hoping it would somehow be of comfort.

"I promise" I ran my left hand up and down her back, then in slow circles. I had no idea what I was promising not to tell, but it would be safe with me regardless.

"Thank you..." She mumbled.

I wondered if this is a nightly thing. Ryan has had nightmares the three times we've slept in the same room. I refused to believe it was my presence that was causing them. I pressed my lips to her hair and hoped that she would remember telling me to stay. When she stirred slightly, I caressed her cheek. Feeling something odd with my thumb, I pulled my head away, far enough to see her face. A black furry spider-like thing stuck to her right cheek. I peeled it off and examined it. Eyelashes? I laughed a little too hard, jostling her in the process.

     "Why are you laughing.."  Ryan peered up at me through one eye.

     "Think this belongs to you.." I held up the object, which she took before scowling. She's beautiful in the morning, an innocent, sleepy-kind of stunning, even with the raccoon eyes.

     "God.."  She rolled onto her back, pulling the other off her eyelid, and threw the pair at me. Ryan rolled over, facing the original direction she had fallen asleep in last night. "Fuck-face, go back to sleep."

I didn't argue and pulled her close. She didn't complain. I felt at ease that she wasn't objecting to the contact. I was pretty optimistic that my jaw would remain the way it was. Well, I was safe from Ryan's potential fist to the face; I couldn't speak for Quade.

     "What the hell...." She propped herself up on her elbow and looked over at me, raising a brow.  Maybe she was half asleep before, and reality just dawned on her.

     "What? Do you not remember asking me to stay?" I propped myself up in turn.

     "No, I remember." She glared.   "You're not getting any, now put that thing away.." She looked down in the direction of my crotch. Shit, I forgot to distance that part of myself.

     "Sorry, it's involuntary, I swear. It's something guys can't control waking up with..." I chuckled. Ryan swung her pillow, hitting me in the face. I wrestled it away from her and held her against me, front to front. This time, with the pillow as a southern barrier. 

     "Let me go," She mumbled into my chest.

     "Are you going to stop hitting me?'

     "Never!" She shouted, her breath fanning across my bare chest.

    "Then you're stuck here. FOR-EV-ER.." I drawled out the last word, making her halt her squirming.

    "Did you just quote 'The Sandlot'?" She asked, lifting her chin a fraction.

     "Yep," As much as it pained me, I loosened my hold. It was probably close to noon. Everyone would be getting up soon, including her brother. I reluctantly got out of bed and stretched some life back into my limbs. I turned to see Ryan propped on her elbows again, her eyes following my slightest move. "Ryan...you're staring," I smirked.

     "Damn you, Mathews! Damn you and your abs!" She plopped back down and covered her face with the pillow. Kneeling on the bed, I pulled it away. "What?" She asked, her grey eyes plunging into mine.

     "Nothing. I like waking up next to you.." Yeah, it sounds like a line, and maybe it was. But it's also true. "You're just so... cute, in the morning. Even looking like a trash-panda." I laughed. " For the record, you look amazing with or without all of that." I gestured to the eyelashes on the pillow beside her.