Chapter 14: Dinner with the Mathews

Ryan's Pov

"So Ryan, You and your brother have unusual names," Melinda commented. I have an unusual name? I've already been over their choice of name with their son—no need to bring it up again.

"Ryan is a prevalent name, Melinda," James argued. Axel bore a strong resemblance to his father, only twenty years younger.

"It is uncommon for a girl. " Axel agreed with his mother.

" We get that a lot, Mrs. Mathews,"

" Melinda..." She corrected me again, retaining her look of interest in the subject.

"My dad always wanted to name his firstborn son after his grandfather, whose name was Ryan. My Mom's family has the tradition of naming their firstborn son the mother's maiden name. When she won the argument with my brother, our dad stuck with his choice, even after finding out I was a girl. Thank God it worked out that way. I could not go through life being called Quade." I laughed easily.

As the dinner went on, I found myself feeling completely comfortable with Axel's parents. Although they looked like they belonged on the pages Cosmo and GQ, they were kind enough not to comment on my sweats. I couldn't help but wonder how Axel turned out to be such an ass. It seemed he was the complete opposite of them. Maybe he was dropped on his head.

"Will you be attending the football games?" James asked, looking at his son with pride.

"Yes..." I paused to take a bite of my baked potato. "Every single one of them." I hoped that I didn't sound too annoyed by that fact.

"Ryan is on the cheer team." Axel clarified.

"Well, that's great!" Melinda smiled, cutting into her salmon. 

"What is your plan for college?" James asked, eliciting an eye roll from his son. It was clear Axel didn't like where this conversation was going.

"I'm applying to various colleges, but WSU is my first choice." I had been dreaming of it since I was five when the warden took us to a game against UW. I took one look at the cheerleaders on the sidelines and decided that I would be one of them one day. However, my reasons for wanting to attend have changed drastically.

"That's where  Melinda and I met." James winked at his wife.

"You're WSU alumni?" I like them more now than I did before.

Melinda nodded in confirmation. "Axel is applying too."  I glanced at Axel on the other side of the table. He had remained quiet since we started speaking of Colleges.

"And I'm sure you already know your major." Axel assumed with a mocking tone.

"Psychology." I've known what I've wanted to major in since sophomore year. Loraine took my empty plate along with Axel's. At home, we are responsible for cleaning up after ourselves. For the first time since dinner started, I felt uncomfortable and out of my element.

"Axel still doesn't know what he wants to do..." James informed. I could tell that they must have had endless arguments and discussions on the subject because Axel bristled.

"I know that  I'm going to play football for WSU.." He answered with his cocky smirk.

"Better have a backup plan in case of injury, As...Axel," I corrected, having almost called him 'Ass-hat' in front of his parents. That would have been bad. I was starting to sound like Taylor. My brain-to-mouth filter was malfunctioning. I blame it on lack of sleep.