Chapter 5 : Food Will Hit The Fan

Ryan's POV

Axel strode in like he was God's gift to the female population. He flashed a sexy smile to anyone that was looking his way. The fact that he was so damn attractive made his attitude that much more unfortunate. Man, it really was a waste. I crossed my arms over the table, laid my head down to hide my face. God willing, he will hit on some other poor unfortunate soul.

"Hey, Ry? You okay?" Sam asked, rubbing my back. I responded with a not-so-attractive grunt.

"What's up, buttercup?" Taylor asked, tilting my head so that she could see my face.

"Fuck my life.." I mumbled. "That jackass hit on me in study hall," I explained, gesturing with my head in Axel's direction. "Quade went all overprotective on his ass.."

"He had the right to Ry.." Axel is nice to look at, but bad news." Taylor confirmed.

"I know. His sexual advances are the last thing I need," I complained. The subject of our conversation must have seen me because he started walking towards us. "Shit...shit...double shit! I whisper-yelled and buried my face back into my arm.

"It's okay, babe.." Sam started but was rudely interrupted.

"How come he can call you babe, but I can't?" I'm sure he said this with that damn smirk of his.

Axel deemed the eighteen fabulous inches of table separating us far too much because I felt the table shift slightly. I knew he was now leaning on it, bringing himself closer to me.

Hiding wasn't an option now. I picked up my head to see that his body ate up all but five inches of the black scarred table. His face was far too close to mine. I forcefully scooted my chair back. After gaining some precious distance, I felt at ease enough to mirror his grin sarcastically.

"Because I love him.." I countered, earning yet another confused look from the dickhead.

"You do know he bats for the other team, right?" Axel clenched his jaw. Did he actually think that I was after Sam in that way? I couldn't resist. Maybe he would leave me alone if he thought I was interested in Sam.

"Yes, but that is why I love him. He's just so hot! Sammy knows how to treat a girl. I am going to be the one who changes him." I said, with a dreamy look plastered to my face. I proceeded to run my fingers through Sam's hair, who was eating this up and planted a smacking kiss on his lips. Sam was the exception to my fear of being too close to the male gender. My friend grinned, and happy to help, he draped his arm around my shoulders.

"She's making me see just what I've been missing. Who knows, I may put in a request to be drafted to another team." Sam kissed my head.  It was a long-running inside joke with us. My friend played it perfectly, and I found the familiar act put me at ease. Taylor, on the other hand,  had trouble controlling her laughter at the display.

Axel raised a brow in doubt. I'm sure he figured out that this was all false, but I hoped that maybe he would finally take the hint and get off my back. To my dismay, the jerk set his jaw, " Game on..." He declared before righting himself and walking away. Fuck, I should have known that it wouldn't be that easy. Great. Axel took a seat next to Foster's. As expected, they looked like they were friends—good friends.

We had two minutes left before class officially begun. While Sam and I chose to fill that time listening to music through my earbuds, Taylor filled it with not-so-subtle glances at Foster, who in turn would do the same when she wasn't looking. He saw that I had caught him mid stare and quickly looked away, striking up a conversation up with Axel. This is what I was afraid of. I didn't want my best friend to get tangled up with a guy like Axel, and if Foster and Sir Jackass were on such good terms, it would stand to reason that he shared some of the same personality traits. Right? And if I'm honest, I selfishly didn't want to be obligated to hang out with him if she and Foster were to hook up. I may have been jumping to conclusions and playing the 'what-if ' game in my head. I overanalyzed everything latly.