Chapter 20: Meeting The Warden

Axel's POV

I didn't think a simple apology to Quade would make a difference. But the last few days had proved me wrong. He and I hadn't been at each other's throats since then. We weren't friendly; we ignored each other for the most part, which was an improvement.

The more time I spent with Ryan, the more I wanted to be with her. I wanted her more than I wanted anything. I didn't know what I was supposed to do next. Do I tell her? Do I wait? Maybe I should ask Sloane. She knew me better than any other girl, and she could provide insight. At least she did know me...before.

We originally were going to keep working on our group project at my place, but my mom banned Bre from the house. When I told Ryan this, she laughed so hard she snorted, telling me how much she loved my mom. Ryan realized that we would now have to work on it at Bre's or her house. She punched me in the arm and said, "this is all your fault." She didn't want Bre anywhere near her home and wasn't thrilled about going to hers either. 

On Monday, while at Bre's house, I sided with Ryan in an argument they had. Before we left, she said that my probation period was over. The end of 'probation' meant that she finally thought of me as a friend.  It happened a lot sooner than I thought. I didn't know how I felt about being in the friend zone. I was relieved that she liked me enough to think of me as a friend, but I didn't want to remain there. I was going to have to try and change that.

Ryan wanted the next time we worked together to be at her house. That way, she could have the satisfaction of kicking Bre out if she started anything.

As I drove down the street, I hoped that Bre would have canceled. She didn't help at all anyway, so there was no point in her being here. I was disappointed to see her red Mustang parked severely crooked in the driveway. Before I could even step foot on the porch, I could hear yelling from inside. Feeling the need to defuse the situation quickly, I knocked a little louder than necessary.

Quade opened the door, narrowing his eyes at me. " Mathews.."

"Fitzpatrick...." I said in turn. He didn't invite me in but turned and started walking away, leaving the door wide open. It was the closest thing to an invitation I would get, so I followed him in and shut the door behind me.

"Ryan and Bre are going at it in the kitchen, I tried to stop it, but Ryan said she would cut me if I didn't back off. So the job is yours.." Quade said, leaving me with the most words he has ever said to me that didn't involve chewing me out.

I made my way into the kitchen, guided by the raised voices. Ryan was red with anger, crossing her arms at one end of the kitchen; Bre leaned against the counter, admiring her nails.

"Go get the fucking eggs!" Ryan yelled.

"Not a chance.." Bre snickered.

"What's going on?" I asked, getting their attention.

"Bre was supposed to bring the eggs but didn't. She won't get her ass to the store."

"I don't see why I have to go out of my way to get something when she has some here.." Bre's nasally voice buzzed in my eardrums.

"Do you not know how to count?" Ryan asked. "Do you not know how to count? We have two...two eggs!" 

I crossed over to Ryan and put my hands on her shoulders. "Breathe..." I whispered. Her eyes darted from Bre, then locked with mine. A gray storm raged in them. I couldn't look away, even if I wanted to. After a few minutes of slow breathing, they cleared a bit.  " Bre, get the fucking eggs," I growled, still locking my eyes with Ryan's.