Chapter 11- Beer Pong

Chase

I woke to the sound of Kenzi reading, his voice sounding calmer than what I’m used to.  I feel the warmth in my hand and turn to my father, in his sleeping state.  He was so strong, so determined to make sure I had an education and that I followed my dreams… little did he know that I’d eventually hate my dreams, because they would lead me to a life of misery.  He was so kind and responsible for his condition, Jolie reminded me of him, and in that I think I resented Jolie, not that I meant to, but every time she scolded me it reminded me of my dad, and his condition, and that I’d likely not be able to talk to him ever again, have him remind me how much I look like my mother.  And have Jolie mother me like my mother never could.

“I’m sorry.” I then said to Kenzi, yet I still looked at my father, I couldn’t let my eyes leave his face.  “ I didn’t mean to fall asleep on you, Kenzi.” I said.

“It’s alright, you seemed pretty tired.”  He said caringly.

I felt like I needed to explain something, but I didn’t want to open up to anyone, let alone a member of the Red Society, but it was Kenzi, not Jared so I closed my eyes, building up some courage. 

“There’s more.”  I said, but I still couldn’t look away from dad.  Saying goodbye was harder each time as I knew only days until I knew I wouldn’t get to see him again.

Kenzi stayed quiet, but I knew he was listening.

“My mother passed away of the brain cancer 4 years after I was born, my dad went into a coma 2 months before I auditioned for the X factor.”  I said quietly as I didn’t want to remember it, or hear myself say it.  “Jolie doesn’t know, because I was embarrassed of his condition for so long.” I winced at my behavior.  “She thinks my parents are normal, and reside in some suburban in Kentucky.”

Silence radiated in the room after I said that,  it made me realize how secluded I had made myself. How I had never told anyone anything, not my father, not my mother, and most of all... not me.

“How in the hell did you keep all this from the press?” He finally asked.

“I don’t know, we visit her parents a lot, and I guess no one questions it, maybe it’s because her mom has red hair.” I mused. “We could look related.”

“And why didn’t you tell Jolie?” Kenzi asked, “This is something you tell one another.”

“I… didn’t want her sympathy, and I didn’t want it to leak, and I love Jolie, but if she knew, then… it would get leaked.”

“It’s still something she should know.  Are you ever going to tell her?”

“I don’t know….” I said and looked outside, “But we should go.”

“Okay..” He agreed and I said goodbye to daddy before leaving.

I felt my body stiffen, something it does before I ever cry, but I held it in, getting in the car and drove away without looking at the hospital.

“Oh, and don’t take this offensively, but Jared warned us all away from talking to you.” He said quietly.

“Don’t worry, I figured so.” I said over the music blaring.

We eventually pulled up to the school, and I noticed most cars were gone, and then remembered Serena’s party.

“I’m still heading over to Serena’s if you wanted to come?” Kenzi smiled as he got out of the car.

“Uh, I don’t think I should go…” I said scratching the back of my neck.

“Why? What could happen?  What could you possibly do to make your situation worse?”  He laughed.