Twenty Seven

The next morning, I'm woken up by Steve lightly kissing my bare back. I push myself up and flip myself over so I'm laying on my back, looking at Steve. 

"Morning." I mumble, smiling at him. He returns a smile before he leans down and connects our lips.

"How are you feeling?" Steve asks me once he pulls away. 

He props himself up on his elbow as I answer, "I'm alright. A little sore, but I really don't mind it." 

Steve begins to run his fingers through my hair as he hums, "Mhm, you don't?"

"No, I don't." I laugh. We fall silent as Steve continues to run his fingers through my hair. 

"What time is it?" I ask Steve. 

"Nine o'clock." he answers, leaning forward to press a kiss to my cheek. 

"We have to get up Steve." I sigh, remembering that a man named Phil Coulson was going to be here at ten.

"We still have a while. Let's just lay here for a little while longer." Steve says, pulling me back into him as I begin to get up. 

"As much as I would love that, I would also like to get this mission over with so we can lay in bed forever if we wanted to." I tell him before finally getting out of the bed. 

Steve watches me change into clean undergarments, a pair of jeans, and a black long sleeve shirt. 

"I'm going to make breakfast." I tell Steve, smiling to myself. By the team Steve walks into the kitchen, fully dressed, I've made eggs and toast.

"Just something quick." I shrug, sitting down with my food. Steve gets himself a plate and sits next to me. We eat in silence as we both scan over our own newspapers. 

"You know, I wouldn't disagree with you if you wanted to stay here." Steve pipes up as we're washing the dishes.

"You know I wouldn't do that. I'd be too worried about you. I'd get so worried, I'd probably try to come find you." I laugh. 

"Why would you be worried about me?" he asks. 

"You know, you have this tendency to stick up to all the wrong people, but for the right reasons. Dr. Erskine referred to you as 'the little man with too big of a heart'. Now I definitely see why." 

Steve lets out a little chuckle before saying, "I know you can handle yourself. I just feel like something is going to go wrong." 

"Something probably will go wrong. But we'll deal with that as we come to it. Alright?" I say, turning to face him after I put the last plate away. Steve smiles at me and wraps his arms around my waist. 

"You're always right." he sighs before kissing me. I wrap my arms around his neck but pull them back when a knock sounds at the door. 

"I'll get it. Go pack. We still haven't done that." I instruct Steve before walking away and answering the door. 

"Miss Simmons. It's nice to finally meet you." 

"Are you Phil Coulson?" I ask, just to make sure. The brown haired man nods his head so I step back and motion for him to come inside. 

"Steve and I just woke up, so we haven't gotten a chance to pack yet. Make yourself at home, though." I smile before excusing myself and walking into the bedroom. Steve laid out one bag for each of us, showing that he was hopeful this wouldn't take long. 

"You know, I am going to need more than one bag." I laugh, startling him. He turns around and faces me, smiling sheepishly.

"I didn't really know how many you would need." Steve says. I shake my head and kiss his cheek as I walk past him towards my side of the bed.