Eighteen

"Steve, stop!" I giggle, turning my face away from him. We were standing in a corner of the office and he had cornered me against one of the desks. I had said no to helping him with something so the first chance he got, he dragged me into the corner of the office behind some bookshelves and started tickling me, knowing how ticklish I am.

"Not until you help me." he whispers in my ear, continuing his assault. 

"I...don't even...know what you...wanted help with!" I manage to say in between my fits of laughter. 

"Stark wants to see me for something and I want you there." Steve says, rolling his eyes playfully.

"Fine. But only if you stop." I agree, out of breath. He stops tickling me but leaves his hands on my waist. I lean my head against his chest and catch my breath. 

"Damn you." I whisper, chuckling. Steve gasps, faking shock, and pulls away from me.

"Oh, I was kidding." I laugh, pulling him back to me. His hands grip my waist once more but instead of just holding me, Steve picks me up and sets me on the desk. His hands stay wrapped around my waist as I wrap my arms around the back of his neck.

I pull him towards me and lean up towards him to connect our lips. Before things get anymore heated than they already were, someone clearing their voice behind Steve interrupts us. 

We pull away from each other and I glare at Peggy as she says, "We're ready for you. If you're not otherwise occupied."

Steve blushes and looks back at me as she walks away. I roll my eyes and get off the desk. 

"You heard her." I spit, clearly agitated. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" Steve asks. When I turn around to face him, he has a look of concern across his face. 

"Peggy bothers me." I simply shrug. 

"Why? Because she's jealous of you?" Steve chuckles. I glare at him. He should not be laughing at this.

"Yes, Steve." I say, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Oh, come on Beth. We all know who I'd pick." he tells me. I raise an eyebrow, waiting for him to tell me. He sighs before pulling me into him again.

"I'd choose you any day Beth." he tells me softly. I nod and smile smugly as I rest my head against his chest. 'Take that Peggy.' I can't help but think. 

"Come on. Let's go see what Stark wants." Steve says eventually, pulling me off of him.

He takes my smaller hand in his larger one and pulls me out of our little corner. We walk into a different room and spot Stark standing along a wall behind a table covered in metal that's been molded into several different shapes and sizes. 

"Stark, what did you need me for?" Steve asks as we approach him.

"You know how I like to concentrate on my work. At the moment, that is all about making sure you and your men do not get killed." he tells us as we stop in front of him. 

"I hear you're uh...kinda attached?" Stark continues to say before looking at the shield Steve used in his performances.

"It's handier than you might think." Steve admits with a small smile. 

"I took the liberty of coming up with some options." Stark says, gesturing to what I now realize are shields. There have to be at least ten strewn out across the table in front of us. 

"This one's fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays. It'll allow you to..." Stark begins to explain before I cut him off. 

"What about this one?" I ask, picking one up off of the lower shelf of the table.