Twenty Six

The next morning, as Steve and I were eating breakfast, Steve takes one of my hands in his and clears his throat. I look at him expectantly, waiting for him to say something. 

When he doesn't, I speak up and say, "Did you want something?" 

He nods his head slowly and says, "Yes, I did. I made reservations for us at one of the restaurants around here." 

I raise an eyebrow before laughing. 

"You made a reservation?" I ask him for clarification, putting emphasis on the 'you' part. 

"Well...I had one of the men at the desk help me." he laughs and blushes, scratching the back of his neck with his free hand. His other hand was rubbing circles on the back of my hand. 

"Of course, I'd love to go out for dinner with you, Steve." I reply, smiling at him. He returns my smile before leaning across the table to give me a light kiss. 

"It's at six o'clock tonight." Steve tells me. Then, he gets up from the table and takes our dishes to the sink. 

"Do you want some help?" I ask when I see he's begun washing the dirty dishes.

"No, no. I'm fine. Go and get ready." he tells me. 

"We still have ten hours before the reservation." I chuckle, grabbing a dry towel. Steve rolls his eyes before giving in and handing me a plate to dry. Washing and drying all the dishes takes us about ten more minutes.

After we were done with that, I turn to Steve and ask, "Do you want to go to the gym for a little while? I want to be ready for whoever we're up against." 

Steve looks down at me, then nods. 

"I guess it wouldn't hurt. Do you need to change?" 

I look down at the shorts and t-shirt I was wearing. 

"I think I'll be okay." I answer him. We slip our shoes on before Steve grabs his gym bag and we head out towards the gym.

For the next few hours, Steve teaches me new fighting techniques and different ways to protect myself in a hand to hand battle. He also taught me how to use his shield, if I ever needed to use it. 

"Your shield is actually really light." I laugh when we take a break. 

"I don't really notice anymore. It's a part of me now." Steve shrugs before taking a drink from his water bottle. 

"Are you ready to go? It's almost four o'clock and I still have to get ready." I say after a few quiet minutes. Steve nods and takes my hand in his as I stand up with the gym bag in my other hand. 

"I can take that if you like." Steve offers, talking about the bag. 

"It's fine Steve." I laugh as we leave the gym. The walk back to our apartment is silent.

"I'm going to take a shower." I tell Steve before kissing his cheek and locking myself in the bathroom. After I get out of the shower, I wrap my hair in a towel and wrap another towel around my body. I carefully walk into the bedroom, not wanting Steve to see me.

I shut the bedroom door and walk to the closet to pick out an outfit. When I hear the shower start up again, I let the towel slide off my body, not having to worry about Steve walking in on me.

Soon, I find a gorgeous deep red dress. I quickly change into it, then begin to search for shoes. The only ones I find on the closet floor are heels, higher than what I'm used to. I hesitantly put on the shortest pair of black heels. 

They were just a little bit taller than the ones from the nineteen forties but they were still tall enough to make me nervous. I walk around the bedroom in them and brush off my worries, the shoes weren't so bad. A knock on the door shakes me out of my thoughts.