Thirteen

"Welcome to Italy." Mark smiles as we get off the plane near the camp Steve was performing at. 

"This crowd is going to be a little different than I'm used to." Steve says to me. 

"Well, yes. These are full grown men you're speaking to, not little kids." I laugh, trying to lighten the mood. 

Steve glares at me before shaking his head. 

I sigh and quietly say, "Sorry." before following him the short walk to the camp. 

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. You're only trying to help." Steve apologizes, pinching the bridge of his nose.

I look up at him as he stops and meet his gaze. Steve gently takes my face in his hands and presses a kiss to my forehead. 

"I love you." he whispers to me. 

I look up at him in shock before whispering back, "You do?"

He nods his head and smiles at me. 

"I love you too." I smile back, wrapping my arms around his neck in a hug. He hugs me back tightly before letting me go. 

"Alright, I've got a show to get to." he says, rolling his eyes.

I laugh and follow him to the stage. I quietly stand backstage and watch the girls run around, looking for their shoes and things before the show. 

"Can you hand me my mask?" Steve asks, walking out of the changing room. 

I pick it up from the table next to me and hand it to him. He slides it on over his head just as the girls walk out onto the stage to start the show. The soldiers out in the crowd begin to clap and cheer. 

"Well, time to get the show on the road." Steve sighs, looking at the stage.

"You'll do great." I say to him to encourage him. He looks at me and smiles before picking his shield up and walking towards the stage. I follow him but remain behind the curtain as he walks out onto the stage. 

"How many of you are ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw?" Steve asks the crowd. No one answers him so he continues to say, 

"Okay. Uh...I need in volunteer?" 

I peek my head around the curtain just in time to see one of the soldiers stand up and yell to Steve, "I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?"

The rest of the crowd begins to laugh at the soldier's sarcasm. 

"Bring back the girls!" the same soldier yells again. 

The crowd cheers before Steve stutters, "I think they only know the one song. But um...let me...I'll...I'll see what I can do."

He stands on the stage and awkwardly scratches the back of his neck. 

"You do that, sweetheart." the soldier calls out before another one yells, "Nice boots, Tinker Bell!" This causes the crowd to laugh again.

"Come on, guys. We're all on the same team here." Steve says desperately. 

"Hey, Captain! Sign this!" a third soldier yells before preceding to stand up and pull his pants down. Steve glares at him before storming off the stage. The girls walk back out onto the stage, causing the crowd to start cheering again. Steve storms past me and out of the tent. 

"Steve, wait!" I call out, following him. 

"This is not what I should be doing." Steve says angrily, stopping and turning to face me.