Thirty Three

Steve's Point of View

I cannot believe that Nick Fury would have a weapon like this on board this helicarrier. Trying to control my anger, I furiously pick up the weapon and storm back to Banner's lab to show him and Stark. As I pass a window, I take notice that it's morning now. Walking into the lab, I see Fury talking to Banner and Stark. 

"Perfect." I whisper to myself. 

"What is Phase Two?" Stark asks just before I slam the weapon down on the table behind Fury.

"Phase Two is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the cube to make weapons." I answer his question. 

All eyes turn to glare at Fury as I continue to hollowly apologize, "Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow."

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're..." Fury tries to explain to me before Tony cuts him off. 

"I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?" he asks sarcastically as he flips a screen to face us. The screen reveals Fury's plans for the cube, and for the weapons they were going to make. 

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit." I spit out in anger. At this moment, I'm glad Elizabeth isn't here. Because if she was, she would be causing all kinds of hell for Fury. And for the rest of us too. 

"Did you know about this?" Banner directs his question at Agent Romanoff, who had just walked into the room with Thor trailing just behind her.

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this situation, doctor?" she replies coolly, ignoring his question. 

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed." the doctor points out, smiling sarcastically. 

"Loki's manipulating you." she warns.

"And you've been doing what, exactly?" he fires at her. The rest of us stand back and let them have their heated conversation, not daring to interrupt. 

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." 

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction." Banner replies calmly before directing his attention towards Fury. Fury looks at all of us before he replies.

"Because of him." he points accusingly at Thor. 

"Me?" Thor asks, arching an eyebrow. 

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned." Fury explains further.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor defends. 

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled." 

"Like you controlled the cube?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal to all the realms that the earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor explains.

"A higher form?" I ask, confused by what he meant. 

"You forced our hand, we had to come up with something." Fury defends his actions, shrugging. 

"Nuclear deterrent. Cause that always calms everything right down." Stark responds sarcastically. 

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark." Fury replies with venom dripping from his voice. I step in at about the same time everyone starts arguing with everyone. I can barely hear myself as I argue with Tony.