Sixteen

"Steve, can I talk to you?" I ask him as the cheering and clapping dies down and the crowd starts disappearing. 

"Of course. I'll be right back Buck." Steve says to the man before I pull him towards my tent. I lead him inside and let him go before sitting on my cot. Steve goes to hug me again but I lean away from him. 

"What's wrong Beth?" he asks, crouching down to look me in the eyes. 

"You left me." I whisper, suddenly feeling like crying again. 'I really need to stop crying.' I think.

"I'm sorry Beth. But Bucky...I had to find him." Steve says. 

"You should have told me that, instead of yelling at me! But no, you left, right after we had our argument too!" I exclaim. Steve stays silent and looks down at the ground.

"I thought it was all my fault. That you wanted to get away from me." I whisper, tears falling down my cheeks. 

"No, no. None of this was your fault, darling." Steve tells me as he gently takes my face in his hands and wipes my tears away with his thumbs. The room is silent for a moment as we look at each other.

"I'm sorry for getting mad at you before I left. I wasn't mad at you, I promise. I was mad at myself." Steve says, lowering his head and avoiding my gaze. 

"Why?" I ask him quietly. 

"I was upset that I wasn't doing more for my country. Like I said before, men are laying down their lives while I perform in tights." 

I stay silent, not wanting to ignite another argument. 

I stare at my hands for a few moments before Steve chuckles and says, "You can say something. I won't get mad like last time." 

I smile at him before saying, "And like I said before, you're not just performing. Besides, after what you just did, I'm sure they'll give you something to do in the army." 

Steve chuckles and shakes his head. 

"You really think so?" he asks. 

"Of course. You saved their lives! They would most likely be dead if you hadn't gone to rescue..." I trail off, not remembering Steve's friends name.

"Bucky." Steve tells me with a smile. 

"Right. So yes, I do think they'll give you something more to do. And if not, I'll talk to Colonel Phillips." I shrug. Steve looks at me for a moment before pulling me into him and squeezing me tightly.

"I love you Beth. So much." Steve whispers in my ear. I smile and bury my head in his neck, taking in his scent. 

"I love you too Steve." I mumble back. We stay like that for a while before someone clears their throat.

"A few of the soldiers would like to talk to you Captain Rogers." a nurse says, looking intimidated. 

"Of course. I'll be right there." Steve smiles at her before she nods her head and leaves the tent in a rush. 

"Come on Beth. I want you to meet some people." Steve says, pulling me up off the cot. I follow him outside before he looks around, confused. 

"Where is the medical tent?" Steve asks. 

"This way." I say before I grab his hand and take him to the medical tent where all the rescued soldiers went to get checked out and taken care of. As we walk in the tent, Steve still in his Captain America uniform, the soldiers begin cheering again. 

"Well, they sure are fond of you." I whisper to Steve as a nurse leads us to where Steve's new friends are waiting to talk to Steve.

"Captain America!" they all yell out and laugh. Steve smiles widely at them before shaking their hands. I stand at the edge of the group awkwardly. The man Steve called 'Buck' earlier glances over at me and smiles.