Chapter 9: Deja Vu All Over Again

"Amy?"

A weary moan rose up in her throat as a familiar voice pulled her from her deep slumber much to her discouragement. She groaned in debate. She didn't know what time it was but if her eyes refused to open, it had to be pretty damn early and definitely too early for her to be woken up. She winced at the incessant and annoying beep of the heart monitor, quickly reminding her where she was, where she had fallen asleep and where she had spent the past night. A nightmare to her but business as usual to everyone else.

 A nightmare to her but business as usual to everyone else

"Honey? It's time to wake up."

"No it's not," she grumbled, pulling the blanket up over her head in an effort to shield herself from Michael's voice and the bright light that suddenly filled the room. She groaned irritably. "Would somebody please make that damn beeping stop?"

"It's not going to stop, honey, not if I can help it. If it stopped beeping then that would be a problem, for both of us, but especially for you and there's no way I'm going to let that happen." He grabbed the covers, trying to pry them out of her hands but she held on tight. "Now come on, Amy, you have to wake up. I have to examine you."

Amy groaned wearily. "Can't I sleep for just a little bit longer? Please? Another hour maybe?"

He let go of her covers and sighed deeply. "Do you want me to come back? I can come back to you towards the end of my rounds. It should give you another hour to sleep."

"Yes, please!" She cried. "Come back later."

"All right, you get some sleep and I'll be back."

A soft smile crossed her face as she felt him kiss the side of her head, relaxing as the light shut off and the door to the exam room shut quietly behind him. Slowly lowering the blanket, she shifted to get comfortable once more, carefully turning over onto her right side and tucking her hand under the pillow. She was both thankful and fortunate that she hadn't gotten a room mate since last night. Sure, there had been a few patients every couple hours but they had come and gone, having only minor ailments that were easily fixed with medication and home treatment. 

Thank god. Least she had peace and quiet now. 

Good thing they hadn't put her in a room with a window. She would of demanded blackout curtains to block out the sun. She sighed irritably at the sound of the steadily beeping heart monitor. Maybe if she ripped herself off of it, they wouldn't notice. Actually, they wouldn't notice, would they? Only the rooms upstairs had a nurses' station, with one dumb nurse sitting and watching the bank of monitors like a hawk. She thought about doing it last night, but Michael had been coming and going at all hours with patients and if he wasn't coming and going, he was passing through the hall. She also had to worry about the nurses tending to patients. 

Damn hospitals. 

Either way she looked at it, they weren't any less disciplined than a prison. Hopefully she would be getting out of this prison sometime today and she hoped like hell that it happened before the sun set.