Chapter 6: Against Medical Advice

While it had been easier said than done to go back to sleep, what with the annoying and incessant beeping of the heart monitor in addition to the stupid nurse waking her up every four hours, she had still managed to get in a good three and a half hours at least. Hopefully it was enough to help her get through the day. A weary moan rose up in her throat as she began to stir, her head shifting against the pillow.

"Amy?"

Her eyes came open at the soft but familiar voice, a soft smile crossing her face when she saw Courtney sitting at her bedside. "Hey Court."

"Hey girl, you're awake," said Courtney with a friendly smile.

Amy nodded, pushing herself a little higher up in the big bed

Amy nodded, pushing herself a little higher up in the big bed. "Yeah, I am." She exuded a long yawn before going on, "what time is it?"

Courtney glanced down at her white rhinestone encircled wristwatch. "Four thirty-six."

Amy blinked in astonishment. "Four thirty-six? For real?"

"For real. Guess there's not really much else to do in hospitals but sleep. I mean, basic cable? Who are they kidding?"

"I know, right?"

"Where'd you get the sweatshirt?" Courtney asked.

"Dr. Watch Dog." Amy replied with a light laugh. "He's just letting me borrow it so I wouldn't have to walk around in this hospital gown."

Her friend's lips curved up into a smirk, staring skeptically at her. "Mm-hmm..."

"What? I swear, he is."

"Sounds like having your boyfriend let you borrow his coat."

"He is not my boyfriend," Amy insisted. "Did you bring that extra set of clothes?"

"Yep." Courtney turned to grab the purple Jansport backpack she'd set down on the floor to her right just beside her chair. "Right here."

Pushing herself up to a seated position, she took the backpack from her and set it in front of her, tucking her legs beneath her and sitting Indian style

Pushing herself up to a seated position, she took the backpack from her and set it in front of her, tucking her legs beneath her and sitting Indian style. "Now all I have to do is check myself the hell out of here, whether Michael and Andrew like it or not."