A Kiss and a Cabbie

The second my feet made contact with the carpeted office floors, I resumed my position under Lawrence's arm. I could tell he was trying to remain strong, trying not to let on to how much pain he was in, but he still had to lean heavily on me for support. I doubted he could have made it out of this building by himself. Together, we hobbled towards the elevator, one step at a time.

We rounded the corner just as the elevator doors dinged open. We froze, knowing that we were in no shape to fight whoever was coming out. Much to our relief, it was the wide eyes of Carson that greeted us.

Seeing Lawrence was hurt, he quickly jumped into action, sliding under Lawrence's other arm and helping him into the elevator. Once we were in, Carson reached out and pressed the button that would bring us to the main floor.

He leaned forward to address me, "Your mother is safe. She and Em are in a cab on their way home right now."

I let out a shaky, relieved breath. They were safe. They were both safe, "Thank you," I replied, my mind wandering to what could have happened after I fell out the window.

"Where's Blood?" he asked.

"On the roof," replied Lawrence, "Swift and Blue are still up there."

"And Gold?"

"Unconscious," I replied proudly, a smug smile tugging at the edges of my lips.

Carson nodded and we fell back into silence. When the elevator finally slowed to a stop, we stepped out.

"Can you get us a cab?" Lawrence addressed Carson, "It's much easier to do when you're not dressed as a Super."

Carson smiled and used his powers to make himself look like an ordinary civilian. He saluted to us before walking out the front doors.

Lawrence turned his attention back to me now, "Thank you."

A sadness spread through me, flashing in my eyes before I turned them towards the ground, "You shouldn't thank me. If it weren't for me, none of this would've happened."

"If it weren't for you, I'd be dead," Lawrence responded confidently, staring into my eyes.

"But you wouldn't have been hurt in the first place," tears were starting to well in my eyes again, making him blurry. I slid off my mask, annoyed by the tight fabric pinching at my cheeks.

He turned to fully face me, grabbing my shoulders and forcing me to look at him, "I chose to do what I did, fully aware of the consequences. If I had to, I'd do it all over again. This is in no way your fault, Johanna, please understand that."

I let out a heavy sigh and blinked away newly forming tears. I could have put up more of a fight, but I didn't. Instead, I nodded before looking back up into those green eyes. His expression softened as he looked at me.

"I'm sorry for scaring you like that," he said softly, a small, comforting warmth radiating from his skin. A traitorous tear escaped my eye and rolled down my cheek. He reached up and gently brushed it away, his hand lingering there for a moment. My breath hitched and my heart was pounding heavily in my ears.

He leaned closer, his warm breath fanning against my skin. Before I knew what was happening, his lips met mine. It was soft, gentle, and it made my heart swell. It was then that it truly set in that he was still alive. His body temperature rose steadily with his emotions and I couldn't help but melt into him. The only thought that hadn't been silenced was that this is where I belonged. This is where I wanted to stay.

We pulled apart when Carson's voice called from the door, "Oy! Love birds!"

My cheeks flamed red as I stepped away from Lawrence, only to immediately step back to help support his weight. I slipped my mask back on and glared at Carson.