I Hate Lockers

"Ms. Dunston!" My English teacher snapped her ruler down onto my desk.

My head jolted out of my arms in surprise.

"Sorry, Mrs. Harper," I mumbled as I slumped back into my chair, "I didn't get much sleep last night."

Her pink lips tightened and her narrow eyes glared at me through thick lenses, "I see." She didn't sound convinced, "Don't let it happen again."

I nodded and she returned to her lecture.

I heard a few snickers behind me and retaliated with a quick elbow jab to the desk to shut them up.

It was just about then that the bell rang. I stuffed my books and other materials into my bag and headed out to the hallway.

I was the last one out of the classroom, and by the time I made it into the hallway, a bunch of kids were already slamming their lockers shut and heading to their next class.

I spun my combination and threw in my bag before fishing out a pencil. Stuffing it in my pocket and turning around, my heart clenched as I came face to face with the school's bullies.

Brent, the largest of the bunch, thrust a piece of paper at me.

"Do my homework, nerd," he commanded in a low and slurred voice.

"No thank you," I said timidly, though I wanted nothing more than to punch him in the face.

"I'll hurt you if you don't," he threatened. I squelched down my own bubbling anger. I'm Lightning Pulse, god dammit, and I don't let people walk all over me! ...Play it cool. Don't give yourself away. Stay calm, Johanna.

"I'm sorry. I don't have the time to get it done, Brent," I almost had to force the words out through clenched teeth.

"Fine, give us your lunch money."

"I-I get free lunch," I let my head hang low. I concentrated on stifling the pulsing electricity that threatened to protrude from my fingertips.

"You're useless then," he grumbled before nodding to his buddies.

Before I knew it, I was staring at the inside of a locker. Curse my tiny figure!

I rested my head against the inside of the narrow, metal door in defeat and waited for any sounds that may be able to aide me. I mentally listed off the ways in which I would make those guys pay.

The bell tolled, signalling my tardiness and I cursed under my breath.

"Hello?" I called out. The echoes of silence were my only response. I sighed and began a hopeless endeavor to wiggle into a more comfortable position.

Some time had passed before I finally heard footsteps.

"Hey, hey!" I called out desperately.

The footsteps stopped.

"Help? Please? I'm in one of the lockers."

"Is that you, Johanna?" I heard a familiar voice ask. I sighed in relief.

"Get me out of here, Lawrence," I begged, "I've been in here for like twenty minutes now and my back is starting to cramp."

He chuckled and approached the row of lockers, "Which one are you in?"

"How should I know? They don't exactly print the numbers on the inside," I pointed out.

He laughed again, "Can you stick your fingers through the air slots?"

"No," I sighed, "I don't have enough room to get my hands up."

"Okay, okay," he said, "Keep talking."