Jealousy

Lawrence and I walked down the street together that night. I was dressed as a normal teenage girl, though my mask was hidden strategically in my pocket, and he was dressed in his obnoxiously orange spandex.

"How can you wear that thing?" I asked.

He chuckled a little, deepening his voice, though no one else was around to hear us, "You get used to it after a while."

"Well I don't get used to it. I feel like I'm going to have a seizure every time I look at you."

He rolled his eyes.

"Seriously man," I continued, "I don't even wear tights that often."

He laughed again, arms crossed over his chest in defiance, "Maybe I like wearing tights."

I scoffed, "There's no way. And besides, haven't you ever thought about how bad that color is? You can't even achieve a minimal level of stealth with it on."

He cocked his head, "You have a point there."

"Of course I have a point, bozo!" I shoved his brightly colored shoulder and he stumbled to the side a bit.

He started to laugh but cut himself short. With his head turned questionably towards the other side of town, he listened.

"Duty calls," I told me with a wink, "Stay out of trouble."

"You know that's a promise I can't keep," I called after him as he started hovering off the ground. He shook his head at me, lips twisted into a smile before he shot off into the distance.

Not even a second passed before an ocean blue streak shot around the corner. He stopped before me and started to fake gag, "God, you two are so cute together. It makes me sick!"

I crossed my arms over my chest, "I think you're just jealous."

He scoffed and placed a hand on his chest, "Me? Jealous? You wound me, sugar."

"I try," I threw his words from last night back at him with a grin.

He snorted. After a few moments of staring at me, his smile dropped and he pointed an accusing finger in my direction, "I know what you're thinking... You're not setting me up."

"Wouldn't dream of it," I claimed, "But you do need someone in your life."

He snorted again, "Sugar, do you know how complicated that would be for me? I mean, obviously I'm the biggest flirt on this side of the country."

"Yeah but Victor isn't," I pressed, knowing that I was getting my hooks into him.

He snorted again, "Victor is a nerdy college student who could never get a girlfriend. No way, José."

"What? And Johanna's any better than that?" I argued, "Come on, I can help," I nudged him with my elbow. Us villains have to stick together, no matter how annoying we are.

"I told you. You're not setting me up," he huffed.

"That's not what I was thinking."

He quirked his eyebrows and I verbalized my plan, "How about Lightning Pulse goes and wreaks havoc somewhere and Victor gets brave and saves the prettiest girl in the room?"

He hesitated, which is good, and his bad boy attitude faltered for just a moment, "You'd do that for me?"

"No," I laughed, "You're an ass. But I would do that for Victor."

He sighed dramatically and ran his fingers through his windswept hair, causing one piece to come dangle in front of his eyes. He brushed it away in a hurry and looked at me. Without much warning, he  doubled over with laughter. With his hands on his knees for support, he tried to calm himself down.

"You want me, of all people, to be heroic?" he asked, panting.

"Chicks dig it," I argued with a smile. He quirked his brow and stood up straight.

He nervously scratched the skin under his mask and sighed, "I don't know if Victor could pull that off."

"Victor just needs to incorporate some of Swift's confidence into his demeanor," I assured him.

He bit his lip and looked away again, "Look, I don't know how to be heroic. That's why I'm a villain. It's all I've ever known how to do."

"It's not that hard. All you have to do is think, 'What's the right thing to do,' and then do it," I pressed him further, "All you have to do is keep the girl safe."

He bit his lip again, "I don't know."

"Dude. You'll be saving her from me. There's no way you won't succeed. Just avoid being Speed McQueen."

He rolled his eyes, "Fine, I'll do it," he crossed his arms over his chest, "Just don't make me regret it."

"You'll be worshiping me later," I teased him, "Meet me in the Mall on Saturday."

He narrowed his eyes at me, "Fine."

With that, he sped off and out of sight.

^

^

^

^

Hey guys. I know this is a short chapter but things are going to get exciting in the next one. Hope you liked it!