Purple Poison

The next few floors were completely empty. Not a single soul showed themselves, and as Carson and I rose higher and higher, we were beginning to worry if anyone was here at all. Had it not been for the thugs in the basement, I would've been on the verge of giving up right now.

"This is going way to smoothly," Carson spoke beside me in the elevator as we rose yet another floor.

"Agreed. Something's not right," I replied.

We were about to step out of the elevator when Swift's panicked voice crackled in our ears.

"I need backup on floor twenty! Now!"

Carson and I looked at each other before stepping back into the elevator. Not having enough time to wait for the door to close, I used my powers to force the doors shut and the compartment to move upwards at a rapid speed. Carson hurriedly moved to clutch the railings lining the walls.

As we approached floor twenty, gunshots were becoming more audible. We screeched to a halt and I flung open the door whilst wrapping my fingers around my handgun. The floor was not exactly even with the elevator floor, but that was not my concern right now. I hopped up onto the twentieth floor and let bullets fly.

Carson hesitantly followed behind me, not really having any forms of defense or offense hidden in his pockets. All he had was trickery and illusions.

"Where are you," I spoke to Swift through the earpiece. My response was a string of swears and Swift's agonized screams.

Luckily, I could hear him just down the hallway and I quickly raced to find him. Carson was close on my heels.

"Swift," I called out. I heard him again and raced to a door.

I wasted no time in kicking it down. I let out a startled scream as a wall of poisonous purple gas pushed out the doorway.

"Shit," I screamed as it made contact with my skin and started erupting in a searing pain. I turned around and yanked Carson's arm down the hallway. The gas followed us at a startling speed. I threw him into the elevator and slammed down the door, sending him down to the next level.

"Johanna!" He called through the door, "What are you doing!"

"I have to get Swift out of here. I'll be fine!"

My voice betrayed me as more gas consumed me. I grunted and turned to run again.

"Dammit Purple Rain!" I shouted out in frustration. My joints were beginning to ache.

Letting out a growl, I jumped up and zoomed through the lights. I fell into the room I'd heard Swift in moments later, gasping in pain when the purple mist hit me.

I found Swift convulsing in pain on the floor, teeth clenched and body shaking. Tears were streaming in my eyes as I crawled towards him.

I'd almost reached him when I felt a foot on my back. I weakly turned my head to see Purple Rain himself smirking down at me.

"God dammit," I growled as the pain increased, "Get off me or I'll fry you!"

"Those threats don't work on me, hun."

I smirked as I thought of the soft spot I could jab, "How are you handling Prince's death?"

His smirk faltered and I took the opportunity to strike.

I twisted around and grabbed his foot, twisting it at an awkward angle and causing him to fall to the ground.

He landed with a heavy thud and looked back to glare at me. My skin felt like it was boiling alive, but the pain only helped me focus my rage.

I jumped on top of the boy, clutching his unruly purple spandex, and sent electricity into his core. He jolted in pain. Furious, he put his hand on my face and made more purple smoke erupt from his palm. I screamed in agony as I threw him to the side. I clutched at my face and turned to glare at the boy. I launched on top of him again and sent another wave of electricity at the psychopath. It didn't take long for him to pass out.

I rolled off of him, my vision becoming blurry, but managed to crawl back over to Swift.

He was panting heavily and flinched when I touched him. Hurriedly, I found the nearest outlet and dragged him towards it. He cried out in pain, but I was able to plunge into the circuits with him in tow.

We fell into a room that was thankfully void of purple mist. I collapsed to the carpeted floors as did Swift.

The mist was still searing my lungs, and as I erupted into a violent coughing fit, purple gas flew into the air. The same happened to Swift.

It was then that I felt someone grabbing my arms and hauling me to my feet. I was able to glance momentarily at Swift who was still sprawled out on the carpet.

I tried to escape the vice like grip that was holding tightly onto my arm, but was rewarded by a painful punch between my shoulder blades instead. I cried out in pain, dropping my head in defeat.

"Well, well, well," I looked up and was startled to see a pair of cold, grey eyes only inches from my own, "Look who decided to show up."

^

^

^

^

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated this story in a while. Just took my AP US History exam this week! I know, fun stuff, right? Anyway, hope you guys are liking this action! By the way, this is not a jab at Prince. He is in fact a very talented musician who has crossed the racial divide more successfully than any other musician in history. It is unfortunate that he passed away this year and the world has lost a great musician. Hope you guys are enjoying this story. Keep an eye out for updates!