Chapter 29

***29***

ELSA

In the middle of the dance, the emcee went up the stage. Everybody stopped dancing but not the music.

"Ten seconds before the Midnight kiss everybody!" she said, excitedly. "Ten!"

Everyone counted along with her. I became anxious. I quickly looked at Hans, scared at what was going to happen. I totally forgot about that Midnight Kiss! The ticking of the clock became louder and louder. My heart bumped louder along with it.When they all shouted 'one', the big clock behind us struck twelve giving the loudest ring ever. My ear began to give off this odd stinging sound that I couldn't avoid hearing.

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" everyone chanted. I looked at Hans once again with an alarmed look. I can't kiss him!

I didn't move from my position and so did Hans. I know that he realized that I wasn't fond of what was happening so he didn't dare step up and kiss me in front of everyone. Instead, he just froze.

Everybody chanted so loudly but when I stared at them, I heard nothing. Nothing at all. Almost like I was numb. As my eyes traced the whole place, just at the corner, where the buffet was, a little girl, whom I thought looked awfully familiar, was wandering around. She wore a purple coat. Everyone was staring at me, waiting for me to kiss Hans. I glanced over him but he avoided my gaze.

I couldn't do it. I can't kiss him.

I was tensed. The music stopped when I slyly snatched the microphone from the emcee.

I opened my mouth and said, "I'm sorry but I have something more important to do." After that, I handed the mic back to the female emcee. Everyone looked oddly at me.

I went down the stage, uncomfortably holding my dress up. I tried my best not to slip. Nobody stopped me from leaving. Nobody had spoken. I just walked and walked. I tried craning my neck to check the buffet but the little girl wasn't there anymore. I tried looking around once more to check. Everyone would move away. They're not stopping me. So I guess I would have to go with the flow. I decided to step out this nuisance so I have to be consistent with it.

Where is that girl? I thought to myself, thinking that she was my excuse for that walk out I just did. I thought that maybe she was just outside the hall so I briskly walked, trying to keep myself from slipping. Heels are never for running.

I opened the doors of the hall and then saw the least person I would have expected to see. I went out, the door closed behind us. We didn't talk nor did we move. He was looking down at his shoe.

"What?" he said, still not looking at me.

Instead of asking whether he saw a little girl, I asked him, "What are you doing here?"

Jack paused. He bit his bottom lip and then finally lifted his head a bit, looking at me. "Would you laugh if I say I came here for you?" he answered, indignantly.

I didn't say anything. He came for me? I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I don't know what to say. "Follow me." He commanded as he went down the stairs. I followed. I don't know where he's going to take me. He even took me out of the building. I've noticed that Jack has been looking over my shoulder, almost like there was something behind me. Every time I try to turn around and see what it was, Jack would move my head back to the front telling that there was nothing.

I don't know if Jack realized it already but it was freezing. I don't have my coat on my dress is over the shoulder.

"Where we going? I don't have my coat on and it's cold!" I demanded.

"Just wait 'till we get there. It's not far." He answered calmly. I sighed and then just walked through the snowy grounds. It was nice that the stars were out though.