Chapter 19

***19***

ELSA

Once again, I was late for the school bus but this time, I caught up. I climbed up the steps, grabbing the handle and then the doors closed behind me. The bus driver wearing a blue cap over his shaggy hair started the engine and then off we go. In my hand, I carried the bag my Mom made me use in exchange to my old one. Of course, every row seemed crowded as always. It looked almost like the scene I just saw on my first day of school here but I had my fingers crossed that I'm not going to sit between two obstinate pigs again. It seemed like nobody wanted me in their row so they basically pushed me off before I could even say anything, like this one girl with dark long hair who simply placed her backpack by her side telling me that I should sit somewhere else. Okay, what did I do now? Am I that revolting to them that they can't even stand me just a couple of meters away? Geez, they're making my life so hard at the moment.

Meanwhile, I saw Anna sitting with a couple of girls but she looked like she doesn't want me in to her little group. I finally decided to just stand up at the back until I saw one perfect seat at the corner. It was isolated, if you ask me. While the bus moved roughly through the road, I made my way to that row but when I was about to sit down, there was a hooded guy. His upper body was bent down to his legs which made me thought nobody was sitting there in the first place. But who cares though. I dropped my bag on the floor and then sat with a force that made the seat wobble for a bit. The guy by the window twitched when I sat down.

"Would you-?" he scowled but eventually stopped when he saw it was me. I should have known that guy was Jack. Jack stared for a while, keeping his head down.

"Would I – what?" I grinned, looking down at him.

"Can't you sit down like a normal person rather than some fat ass man?" he said, angrily, his words quickly fading.

"Sorry." I apologized. "Can't you simmer down?"

His eyes stared blankly at me, the kind of look where he's saying, 'Whatever, just shut up' look. He looked down at his feet while he shook his head and then fell silent. The moment I lean on the seat, I realized.

"Oh yeah..." I suddenly snapped. "Why aren't you using that motorbike or something? Mostly, I would see you riding that on your way home rather than using the school bus. Did it break down after what happened last night? -"

"Would you just shut up? Shut up." Jack exploded but he still kept it in a whispery voice, almost like he was quietly shouting. "You know, you should forget about that already because I'm over it, now. I said my thank you about that favour you did and that's that."

I just rolled my eyes at him and then rested my chin on my palm. And then out of nowhere, a thought inside my head suddenly slipped through my mouth. "If you were just calmer and less vulgar and less angry at the world and if you only tone down your temper I already liked you a lot."

He looked back down at his feet and then awkwardly played with his fingers. And then there came the silence between the two of us. Why did I say that, again?

'I already liked you a lot.'

Is this a joke? I can't accept the fact that it came from my own mouth and my own head.

"You're not supposed to talk to me." He suddenly spoke sternly, still not facing me.

I looked hopelessly at him. "Exactly why I don't like you."

"Does it matter if you like me or not?"

His response took me aback. What should I answer? "N-no. I don't know. I guess. Of course!"