Chapter 28

***28***

JACK

It was already three hours past Jamie's bedtime. Instead of tucking her in bed, I was fixing her seatbelt.

"Now don't tell Mom that I brought you out at night." I told her. She nodded blissfully. "Are you feeling a little tired?"

"Kind of," Jamie replied. But then, she quickly snapped back into her energetic self. "But it's okay."

I just sighed, thinking it better if I haven't brought Elsa anywhere near Jamie. When I finished fixing her seatbelt, I started the engine.

"Sorry if I'm going to use your car, Mom." I whispered and then steered the wheel. Yes, I know how to drive a car.

"Where's Mommy?" Jamie suddenly asked me when we were already far from the house.

"She's at a Christmas Party." I said, keeping my focus on the road.

"I like Christmas Parties! Can I go?" she squealed. I smiled.

"But I thought you want to go to Elsa?" I told her.

"Oh. Forget that I said that." She whimpered. Her expression changed. "Could you drive faster?"

"There's a lot of snow on the road. It's hard to – " and then the car stopped. "Oh, what?" I shouted, slapping the steering wheel.

"I told you we should walk." Jamie interrupted as she crossed her arms. The car couldn't run over those huge piles of snow.

I groaned. Is it really a great idea to fetch Elsa from that ball?

***

ELSA

I clapped my hands loudly when a group of seniors had just finished dancing the waltz. Hans said that the seniors were always the ones who perform, annually at the Winter Dance. He also said that if I stayed in this school when we're seniors, I'd probably be part of that dance. I winced at how stupid the idea was. I don't like dancing. While watching the program, I try not to make eye contact with anyone who was looking at me. I felt rather uncomfortable. But then, during the program, a guy who looked older than me, approached. He had this dark eyes, brunette hair, and tan skin.

He looked at Hans and then at me. "Well, Hans! Taken any photos yet?" he said.

"I actually took a lot but best not to leave my date alone in this table for too long." Hans answered. The guy nodded, looking interested, and then turned his head to me.

"So, what's the name of your date over here?" He asked Hans though he was facing me.

"She's Elsa Hansen." Hans answered, smiling widely. The guy nodded and then held out a hand.

"Well, nice to meet you, Hansen." The guy said. I shook his hand. "I'm Nod Davis."

"Nice to meet you too, Nod." I smiled at him.

"I should go. Have fun, guys." Nod patted Hans in the back and then went off.

JACK

"It's so cold, Jack." Jamie demanded, riding on my back.

"We should've stayed at home." I told her but all she did was sigh in exasperation. She was already wrapped in several layers of coats but she still didn't stop complaining.

"But it's cold." She continued.

"Okay." I said, still walking briskly in the streets. "Do you really want to go to Elsa? Or not?"