Missing Skeleton

You shed one tear before finally opening the door to leave. That same gust of wind blew against your small body, but it was colder this time. Your breathing was uneven from trying so hard to hold your tears back. You've cried so many times you were surprised you even had any tears left. You stepped outside and shivered. You were wearing a white shirt with black stripes, black skinny jeans, black shoes, and a (f/c) shirt, not the best clothing for this place. You jumped slightly, hearing the door shut behind you. "S-So I can never go back?" You thought aloud. You kept looking forwards, because if you looked behind yourself you knew you would regret it all.

After a bit of just standing there and stalling from going forwards, you finally began to walk. The crunching of snow under your feet could be heard by you with each step. Looking around, there didn't seem to be anybody else near by. You stepped over a large branch since there was no way you could move it, you continued on. You passed through a gate type thing and continued. You passed by some dogs and pet them or spared them. There was a time you passed by a dog couple which you thought was adorable until they began to attack you. You managed to spare them as well and continued.

You were pretty beat up and you finally made it to a village after those fights and puzzles, no one seemed to be managing them though. You just passed by everything until you stopped at a certain bar, Grillby's. Something in your head was telling you to go into there, and so you did. You saw a table filled with the dogs you had spared, some people off to the right that seemed drunk maybe, before you looked anywhere else, you saw a familiar skeleton. You took a deep breath and walked up to him, sitting on the stool to the left of him. He had his arms crossed on the table with his skull resting on them. You decided to do something you wouldn't usually do, wake him up. Whenever you saw someone sleeping, you never would wake them up, even if it was to tell them something important. You knocked slightly on his skull, "s-sans?"

There was a groan followed by some mumbled words that were just barely audible, "who are you...? you're really getting to my head." He lifted his head and looked over at you, "oh hey kiddo, what're you doing here?"

You didn't answer. You knew for a fact that something was wrong. Since you have been through so much, you could tell that he was hiding something, since you have done so many times. "O-Oh I'm... Uh. Sorry for waking you up." You paused before talking again, "What's wrong?"

Surprise flashed on his face for a moment, "what?" He questioned.

"Something's wrong and I know it, I can tell. I-I uh." You ended up stammering and becoming shy again, "Y-You don't have to tell me though, I don't want to pry. Sorry for suddenly asking."

A sigh came from sans and he began to speak again, "you got me, i don't know how, but you did. how about we talk about this over some food?" He suggested.

You nodded your head, "I'll have some um... fries." You responded after a quick thought.

sans looked away from you and beckoned for the flame monster to come over so he could order. After ordering, sans remained silent.

Maybe he just doesn't want to talk, or maybe he'll talk later. You thought to yourself as you stared at him. Just like before, he caught you looking at him, so you looked down into your lap quickly.

"eye know that you're watching me." He said simply.

You could feel your cheeks warm up to a light pink, embarrassed that he caught you staring, "S-Sorry..." you apologized.

It wasn't long before the flame monster returned. From what you heard, his name was Grillby, hense the building's name. He placed down some fries in front of you and sans.

"i guess i'll start of with what's wrong." sans began. "it's my brother, Papyrus, he hasn't come home for a few days and I have no idea where he is."

"s-sans I'm sorr-"

"don't say you're sorry, you make it sound like he's dead. i'm positive that that isn't the case."

"S-Sorry..."

"it's fine."

Then, everything went silent between you two. You began to eat, but sans didn't. You would question how he eats, since he is a skeleton, but you had his brother on your mind. You were nibbling on one of your fries, but then pulled it out of you mouth, "I-I could help you find him."

sans looked like he sat up a little straighter, but it wasn't a big gesture. Turning his head to look at you, he spoke, "you really wanna help me?"

You nodded your head, "B-But if I'm not able to be of any help I'm sorry."

"just helping would be nice, and you can stop saying sorry. what was that, six times now? even though you aren't doing anything wrong, you sure do apologize a lot."

"Sorr- um... I just, I don't know." You said. You had always had a habit of apologizing for so many things, even if you weren't doing anything wrong. It just became automatic because of the treatment you received from your mother.

"it's fine." sans repeated like before.

While you ate, sans would talk about his brother to you. He would say how kind he is, how he wanted to capture a human to join the royal guard, how he always tried to make spaghetti, and more. You could tell that sans adored and cared for his brother dearly. He gave you a description of what he looked like just in case you saw him anywhere.

"s-sans I'm done eating so we can go look for him now."

"alright, thanks for doing this." He said and got off of the stool he was sitting on and headed for the exit. While he walked, Sans spoke, "grillby, put that on my tab."

You quickly got off of the stool and stuttered a quick thank you to Grillby. You followed after sans and didn't say anything for a while. You hugged yourself because of how cold you were.

Sans glanced back at you, "you look chilled to the bone, kiddo."

You rolled your eyes but couldn't help smiling. "Really?"

"really." He replied. He took off his blue jacket and placed it around you.

"T-Thank you, b-but I don't need it." His jacket was warm somehow. He's a skeleton so how- well, we did get back from Grillby's which was pretty warm so I guess that makes sense. You thought.

"it's fine, it doesn't get under my skin."

"That was just terrible." You said. You figured he wouldn't really get cold since, you know, he's a skeleton. You properly put the sleeves on and watched sans' back. He just had a white t-shirt, black shorts, and... slippers?

"i guess it was." He said. He didn't seem as cheerful as he was moments ago.

He's probably thinking of his brother. I hope we find him. You thought to yourself. "Where did you last see your brother?"

"last time i saw him was four days ago. i went to my post to watch for humans and he went off to fix his puzzles." He said. "he didn't come back to check on me like he usually did, but i just waited for a bit longer. soon enough, it has gotten to be much later than usual. i looked all around snowdin but i couldn't find him. we could check the waterfalls." He suggested.

You could hear the pain in his voice as he spoke. You nodded your head. "I suppose the Waterfalls have well... waterfalls?"

"yeah, exactly."