Where Does it Lead?

You woke up a bit late again, exhausted from all of your crying and sensitive feelings. After rubbing your eyes, you looked to your side to see that Toriel was no longer there. Your heart skipped a beat, in a bad way. S-She's gotta be in the kitchen, right? She's making m-me breakfast isn't she?  You quickly got out of the large bed and headed out of the room. First, you checked your room just in case, no one. You looked down the hallway, no one. You went to the living room, no one. After taking a deep breath, you stepped into the kitchen... no one. "N-No... no, that can't be true. " You said aloud.

G O   T O   T H E   B A S E M E N T

          You were much too cautious to go outside and accidentally engage into battle with a monster on accident while Toriel wasn't around. Although you had doubt and felt fearful, you walked over to the stairs that led to the basement and stared down at them. You took one step at a time, down the stairs you went. After you made it to the bottom of the steps, you began to run down the hallway, your footsteps echoing off of the walls. After you turned the corner, you saw Toriel there by the door at the end of the hallway, she seemed to be having a conversation with someone on the other side. She said it was dangerous down here, why would she come down? You thought to yourself. "T-Toriel?" You said quietly, but walking closer to her.

          "M-My child, what are you doing down here?" She asked, startled and shocked at the same time.

          "toriel, who are you talking to?"

          "T-Toriel, you were gone so I-I got scared so I-I... I'm sorry." You said, so close to crying. You were afraid that she'd yell at you and scold you for being somewhere you shouldn't, even though you should be used to being scolded at this point.

          Toriel saw that you were about to cry, so she approached you. She had ignored whoever she was talking to and headed over to you, "My child, please do not cry. " She said. Once she got close enough, she embraced you.

          "I-I'm sorry for coming down h-here. I k-know you told me not to but I-I... I couldn't find you." You said and only then did you begin to cry.

          "It is alright now... You were not planning on leaving were you?" She asked, feeling a bit worried herself.

          You shook your head, "N-No, of course n-not!" you said and took a deep breath, trying to speak clearly. "I-I just felt a-alone and lost..."

          Once you had calmed down, Toriel let go of you and wiped away your tears. "Please go upstairs and into your room, I will be there in a moment. " She said.

          "I-I will but... I have question." You said "M-Maybe a few." you added.

          Toriel seemed a bit nervous, "W-What is it my child?"

         "Who were you talking to?"

          "Ah, it is one of my friends." She stated, not giving any details.

          "And... where does that door lead to?" You asked, pointing you index finger at the door behind her.

          "T-That... It is not important, please go upstairs. "

          You stood your ground and shook your head, "P-Please Toriel, I just want an answer. "

          "My child, it is drafty here. You will catch a cold. Please go upstairs. "

          "But Toriel-"

          "If you'd like, you can pull out a book from the bookshelf and read it." She said, trying her best to avoid this and get you upstairs.

          "Toriel, I don't want to read a book, I just want an answer. " You had began shaking a while ago, knowing you were pressing your luck. You were also afraid that she'd hate you and end up treating you like your mother. You knew that thought was a little over the top, but you couldn't help it.

          Toriel had a nervous smile on her face, "How about a walk in the yard?"

          You remained silent. You would only respond if she gave you an answer.

          "Really now."

          Again, silence is all that came from you. It was painful for you to do, but you needed an answer.

          A serious expression was placed on Toriel's once smiling face, "I do not like the game you are playing."

          Suddenly, a voice was heard from behind the door, "you can't avoid telling... whoever you're talking to forever, toriel. "

          Toriel seemed a bit surprised since the voice hasn't been speaking for a while until now, "B-But sans I-"

          "i know you only mean well, but now that their mind is ajar, whoever you're talking to can't get the idea out of their head."

          There was only silence that followed his words. Toriel seemed like she was frozen and you just seemed a bit surprised.

          "well, whoever is there, past this door is the rest of the underground."

          You were glad that your question finally was given an answer, but you also regretted it. At this point, you wanted to explore what was beyond the Ruins. You did tell Toriel you had no desire to leave, but now you doubted your words. "Toriel?" you asked softly. She looked like she watched one of her children die.

          She turned her head and looked into your eyes, "I know that look my child, you want to leave, do you not?"

          "Y-Yes, but no... I want to explore, yes. But i don't want to leave you Toriel. " You said, your eyes shining with the tears that were gradually building up. you refused to let them spill, somehow managing to do so.

          "O-One day my child, I will let you go, but not today."

          You nodded your head silently. You could see the pain in her eyes, like she had to give up things that were important to her many times. "I-I'm going upstairs now." You said and smiled softly at her, but your worry showed through a bit. You turned around and began to head back down the hallway. On your way, you looked back through your conversation. So the person she was talking to was named sans, if I remember correctly. Why was Toriel acting so strange though? Is she hiding her pain as well? I want to ask, but i really don't want to pry... Your thoughts continued until you tripped over the first step of the stairs, not realizing where you were, "Ow..." you whined and got up, but sat down at the bottom of the stairs. Your knee had hit the corner of one of the steps so you looked at it. It wasn't bleeding, but you were sure that it would bruise. You sighed and stood back up.

          After you had went upstairs and Toriel came back, you ate some food then went to your room. "The rest of the Underground huh?" you mumbled to yourself.