Chapter Twenty-Seven: Google It

-Chapter 27-

"Black Magic??"

"Th-that's what it says..."

"Cynthia! I'm going out to dinner with my girlfriends. Watch Dylan for me!" I heard my mom say faintly. A door slam was heard. 

"Yes, Mom!" Jon called. 

"That's it. You're home alone. Well, basically. Dylan doesn't give a crap what you do as long as it doesn't bother him. Turn on my computer for me?"

"Sure..." There was a pause while he turned it on. "What's your password?"

"It's... 'njhoran'" I said awkwardly. He chuckled, and I heard him typing. 

While I waited, I flipped through this Black Magic book. Was this really possible? Magic?

There were all kinds of things in there. How to Duplicate Yourself and Control Both, for example. You had to do a bunch of movements with your arms while chanting some specific syllables. I wanted to try it, but wasn't sure if it would actually work. Another one caught my eye that was just one simple incantation. It changed the shape of whatever you pointed to. 

That one I dared to attempt. 

"Novofigurant," I whispered, pointing at a pillow. 

Nothing happened. Huh. Maybe I didn't have the magic touch or something. 

"I pulled up the internet. What would you like me to do?" Jon said. 

"Google 'Black Magic books.'"

"Gotcha." He typed it in. "Ok, we have a bunch of 'Buy Black Magic books on Google!' things here... 'The Book of Black Magic'...'Classic Black Magic from Dennis Wheatley'...'The Book of Black Magic and Ceremonial Magic'... What's the relevence here?"

"That's what I thought. This book doesn't exist, does it?" I said, my fears confirmed. 

"Doesn't look like it..." he said slowly, probably scanning the page for more results. 

I continued to flip the pages of the book in my hand. Then I stopped. 

"Hey Jon?"

"Yeah?"

"I found it."