Chapter One: Figuring out Notes

-Chapter 1-

E-D, E-D, E-D, C-A-C-D...

I tapped out the notes to One Direction's song, I Want. I always imagined myself as their lead pianist, as someone with no stage fright whatsoever and had no fear of flying.

"Cynthia! Practice the songs for your concert! Not One Dream!" my mom called.

"One DIRECTION," I corrected her.

"I don't care. Play the songs your teacher gave you!"

I sighed. E-Eb-E-Eb-E-Eb-E-D-E-D-E-D-C-A-C-B...

"CYNTHIA ALESSANDRA JOHNSTON! Stop playing your favorite songs and play classical music!" my mom shouted. She stormed into the room. I could tell she was really angry because her frizzy red hair was getting a lot thicker. That happened when she got angry. None of us knew why.

Of course, my little brother Dylan had to butt in.

"I like the do-do, do-do, do-do, dodo-do-dooooo!" Dylan hummed I Want.

"Go eat your lunch, Dylan. Cynthia, I know you love that band, but it's important that you play your Mozart music so you can impress your teacher. Ok? I know you think it's boring, but you can't go this long without practicing. It's been almost a week!" she seemed to calm down a bit. She does that a lot: she gives us a warning, screams at us, and then calms down.

I realized there was no point arguing. "Ok," I sighed.

"Good girl. When you finish practicing, I've got lunch for you!" Mom said.

*~*~*

I stood up, tired of classical music. I grabbed my iPod and notebook off the top of the piano. In the notebook, I scribbled down: 

'More Than This - key of C' 

I underlined it, hoping to be able to jot down a few notes by March. And March is only a week away!

I smiled, just thinking about March. That meant eleven days until my birthday!

*~*~*

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-D-D-D-D-D-D-C-B...

No no no!

D-D-D-D-D-D-C-A-G...

Yes! That's it!

I wrote down these notes and went back to playing.

When he opens his arms and holds you close tonight, it just don't feel right, ‘cause I... I hummed along. ‘cause I...

Something didn't sound right.

G-E...

No, not E. Higher.

G-F...

No, no, no!! Definitely not F! Lower.

But there's no note between E and F. I guessed I couldn’t figure it out on my own. I needed sheet music.

I logged onto my computer to get some.