Chapter 33: Escaping The Deathbed

"In hindsight, that was a bad decision." I said.

"You think?!?" Elvin yelled. "You got us killed!"

A voice came on the intercom. "T-minus 4 minutes to self-destruction."

"Oh, what are we going to do?" Dallas asked.

"I know what we're going to do!" I told them. "We are going to not stand here like wusses and cry about how good our lives were! Look! The intercom lady said we have four minutes left. We can still escape! Let's go!"

I grabbed them and ran out the door. I knew where the exit was. As we turned the corner, I saw a bloody Sean lying on the ground. I sprinted and slid down next to him.

"What did they do to you?" I asked.

"They beat me." he said. "The dust wore off... a long times ago."

"But, why?" Bob asked.

"And, how?" Dallas also asked.

"I was pretending." Sean said. "Going undercover. Finding out secrets. Making their projects malfunction."

"So, you were pretending to like Hailey?" I asked.

"That, isn't true." he said. "It turns out Hailey was a Rebel that escaped. The Squad took her in, but she was undercover. They found out, and now she is in the influence of the dust."

"We have to stop Cam and Clarissa and save Hailey." I said.

"Hey, what ever happened to MacKenzie?" Dallas asked.

"MacKenzie, I'm afraid, is dead." Sean told us. "Turns out it wasn't being the Ruler of the World that made her commit suicide, it was herself. She had a steroid overdose."

"T-minus 3 minutes to self-destruct." the intercom beeped.

"Come on, guys, we have to hurry!" I said. "Dallas, take Sean and let's move!"

We ran down a hall. We turned the corner and saw Cam and Clarissa, with a girl tied up, beat and bloody.

"There's Hailey!" Sean whispered.

Sure enough, there was Hailey, gagged, bruised, and left for dead. We ran to her. She was knocked out. Elvin picked her up and we ran to the doors where I saved Raylen. We were home free, until we saw the two people we didn't want to see in this situation: Cam and Clarissa.

"T-minus 1 minutes till self-destruct."

"What?!?" I asked. "I thought we still had another minute."

"We were able to cut the time." Cam said. "Something about knowing all the nooks and crannies of this place really helps."

They sprinted out the door. We followed them. I saw windows of the outside world. After being locked away from civilization, the gray, trashy world didn't feel so gray and trashy.

"T-minus 15 seconds till self-destruction."

A door was shutting quickly. I sprinted and ran under the door. I lifted it up so they had a passageway. They all passed through, except Raylen.

"Go!" I said. "It's your only chance!" I could hear the countdown.

"No! she said. "I want to be with you!"

We hugged, and all I can remember is her lips touching mine.