Chapter 21: A Break in the Battle

"You've got to be kidding me!" Cam yelled, disgusted. "We had them in our grasp and you doofs had to mess it up." Cam walked at him, brass knuckles raised high, ready to strike.

"Woah, woah, woah!" I calmed her down. "No need for that. We'll have another shot."

"Neville, you recruited another girl?" Bob asked. "Do you know what happened with Mackenzie?"

"I know, I know." I stopped him. "Cam's not like that. She's... different."

Elvin brought everyone but Cam and I into a huddle.

"Guys, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Elvin whispered.

"Probably not." Dallas said back.

Elvin rolled his eyes and continued, "That Cam character did something to him."

"Or," Sean spoke up, "Neville and Cam like each other and Cam might want to help us."

"Why do you say that?" Elvin asked.

"Because I stole the security footage and saw Cam help Neville out from the room Clarissa locked him in." Sean replied as he brought a computer from Cam.

"I see why you think that, and now I agree." Elvin said."So, you're one of us now, Cam?"

"Yup." she replied back.

Dallas and Sean pulled me to the side.

"So." Sean asked.

"So what? I was confused.

"You guys like each other." Dallas said.

"What, no!" I said. "Friends, with her? Naw, man!"

"Neville, we've known you for 6 years." Sean pointed out. "We know you better than anyone."

"Other than your parents and God." Dallas corrected him.

"Right." Sean said.

"I mean, we help each other out, but, I can't date. I'm only 18." I said back.

"Dude," Sean said, "We're boys with no parents who are trying to save the world. What do we have to lose?"

"You're right!" I said, excited. "I mean, we're poor, grief-stricken, with terrible education, and we live in Wales with terrible health care, improper clothing for winter, and we're only around for labor and reproduction! Yet, we're still geniuses, other than Dallas, not going through PTSD despite all the torture, death, and murder we've seen, and we haven't gotten sick in all 18 years of our life! What do we have to lose?"