Chapter 1: All You Need To Know

Someone had to do it. I was the one. Sure, I could have gave up and ran, but no. Sean nor Dallas had the power to do it. I ran up, jumped, and I woke up. It was a dream. It didn't feel like a dream, but it was.I looked outside at the gray, trashy world that we lived in. Yeah, ever since "The Squad" took over America, it's like "Mars Needs Moms", but 10x worse. I threw off my pajamas, which looked like they were for 5 year olds, and slipped into my ripped up jeans. I didn't ever bother putting on my shirt, despite being in the middle of the coldest winter of the century. I grabbed the toast that was left from last night, and went out for school. I met up with my friends, Sean Evans and Dallas Frederick, who lived in the apartment above me.

" Hey, Neville, what's up?" Sean said.

" Nothing, just wishing it was 2015 again." I said.

Dallas spoke up, "Me too. If 'The Squad' would just let loose, America would be better off."

"But, till then, us guys are going to still fend for ourselves." I said. We got to Capetown High School, our school, and got ready for our first class, science. I took out my science notebook and a slip of paper fell out. I showed it to Dallas.

"What does it say?" he asked. The note said, "Meet by the alley on the corner of Vine and Gresham at 12:46 p.m. This message is for Neville Grimes, Dallas Frederick, and Sean Evans. Once you have read this, burn this message."

"Sean, take a look at this!" I whispered.

"What is it?" he asked.

I said to them, "I don't know, but it looks important. Maybe we should go."

"And skip school?" Sean sounded confused, "Dude, 12:46 pm is Ms. Riddell's class. Do you know what she'll do if we're late? Her sister is you-know-who!"

Dallas chimed in. "But, Sean, what if this is important?"

"See," I said. "even Dallas agrees with me."

"Neville, you have the man that said that his favorite food was breakfast agreeing with you."

"So what. At least I got someone on my side." My voice started to get louder.

"Guys, don't get mad." Dallas said. "Maybe if we find out what time the bell rings, we can calculate how fast we can go to and from the alley. Plus, we need to go at a speed of approximately 9 miles per hour." Sean and I stood in awe. One of the stupidest guys we knew said something Sean would have said, and Sean has a 4.4 GPA.

"So, are we going or not?" I asked.

"I guess so." Sean said, reluctantly.

We excused ourselves one-by-one to use the restroom and we snuck out the window. We ran like our lives depended on it. Finally, we reached the sidewalk of Vine Boulevard. Gresham wasn't to far from where we were.

We finally got to the alley when Dallas said, "There's nothing here. Is someone playing a trick on us?" Just then, two metal snakes came from nowhere and grabbed Sean and Dallas and took them down into the sewer. Right then a third snake came for me, but I grabbed it by the neck and tore it apart. Two more came straight for my neck, but I kicked them away. While that was happening, a third snake came and punctured me in the back. Six of its teeth came out of my back when I turned. Drops of purple fluid dripped from its teeth. When I went to grab it, I collapsed.