Chapter 32.

Lucas's POV-

Surprisingly, I found out that Charlie was brilliant at basketball. He seemed to be good at a lot of things, having private discussions about art with Maya, helping her, even being good at the stuff I was good at...

I couldn't keep up with the guy, I mean, I have always been called perfect.

However, this guy seemed a lot more 'perfect' than me.

Nobody can be fully perfect, can they?I mean, I have flaws. Everyone does.

This guy ... I just couldn't keep up with him, he was far more interesting then me.

Maya had known me her entire life, there was nothing to know about me. However, Charlie had only gotten into our lives which meant we had a lot to find out about him.

Charlie grabbed the basketball off of the ground and started bouncing it around, heading towards the hoop he jumped up in the air and threw the ball in. Even his attempt at throwing It in was perfect, the ball went straight through the hoop and Charlie was grinning excitedly .

I laughed and joined in. Eventually we had a full on basketball game.

I think at the end it was fair to say I had won.. Not really, it was a draw.

"You should try out for the basketball team, sometime Gardner." I said, nodding impressively at him. "Your good at basketball. Practise a lot?"

Charlie shrugged his shoulders in response. "Kinda, I guess. I'm often by myself and I have a big back garden which is great to play basketball in." Said Charlie.

"Should we go back to the girls?" I asked Charlie, we had been playing basketball for quite a long time. I wanted to walk the girls home at least and make sure they got home safely.

Charlie nodded at me. "Good idea, I want to make sure Maya gets home safely." Said Charlie. "And Riley." Charlie added.

I frowned a little when he mentioned Maya's name first but I decided to shrug it off, it was all I could do. Maybe he put her down first since there were friends?Really close friends?I don't know but I didn't want to think about it, I chose to ignore it instead.

Me and Charlie started walking back to Topanga's where Riley and Maya were, Charlie was Clutching the basketball in his arm. Topanga's wasn't that far from the basketball spot me and Charlie were playing in earlier on.

Topanga's soon came into view and me and Charlie walked inside. The girls were sat down on the sofa, giggling and talking to each other excitedly.
It looked like a new friendship had blossomed with them both, even though they had both only just became friend they both looked as if they had known each other for years.

Me and Charlie walked up to them both, they both stopped talking and looked up at us both.

"Hey, guys! Me and peaches have been talking!" Said Riley, happily.

"Peaches?" Charlie said, looking confused. He wasn't the only one confused, I was too.

"That's what I call Maya now! Maya calls me honey." Riley said, giggling. "Don't you just love our choice of nicknames?I know I do!"

"I think it's time we took you girls home, you both seem over excited." I said, it was true. They both seemed over excited. I guess it was either because they were happy or because the amount of smoothies they had both been drinking.

"Great!" Said Riley, happily. "Who is walking us home?"

For a moment I saw Maya glance at Charlie when Riley mentioned this, her face looked saddened. I knew what I had to do... I had to walk Riley home, since Riley and Charlie's date didn't go well at all. It was the least I could do.

"I'll walk you, Riley. Charlie, you can walk with Maya." I said, glancing at Maya.
She looked relieved.

Charlie looked relieved too, I was just annoyed I got no time to spend with Maya.

Maya's POV-

Me and Charlie walked together out of Topanga's, it had been a really long day.

I was tired.

"Shall I take you to your house, Maya?" Charlie asked, smiling at me.

"Sure, If you want to. It isn't that far." I said, smiling back at him.

Me and Charlie started walking, he was walking along side of me being awfully quiet.

"Hey, Maya?Thank you."

"What for?" I asked, a little confused. What was he thankful for?I hadn't done anything, or so it felt like.

"For helping me get out of that date with Riley, I really do appreciate it.". Charlie said, smiling a little at me.

"It's fine, I shouldn't have pressured you into dating each other anyway. I'm sorry, Charlie. Besides, for all I know you could like someone else."

"Yeah, true. I mean, I could like Brenda for all you know." He said, bursting out laughing.

I laughed too. "Back of the class Brenda and Charlie, perfect couple. No one would see that coming, would they?"

Charlie shook his head. "No one would, but that would never happen and If it were I would ask you to help me get out of dating her." He said, still laughing slightly.

I laughed too and continued walking, it was fun talking to Charlie.

Talking to people.

Talking.

Lucas and me had barely even talked properly recently, down to all of the Texas drama, all of the dating stuff, me and Lucas couldn't communicate the way we used to which saddened me slightly.

With Charlie, I could talk to him properly which cheered me up. He was always there to talk to, which I was glad about.

I loved talking to him, he had been there even when I was injured really badly.

I never thought I would make another friend like Lucas, Charlie had been there for me a lot.

I started to smile at him without even realising, I guess that's what people can do. People change people. Charlie had changed me since the Texas injury, he had been there. That was all that I needed.
I needed Lucas too, he had been there too.

A/N-

Sorry for the long update, I've had exams recently.

I'll try and update the book by possibly tomorrow or the weekend.

-huhhurrs