Chapter Thirty-Nine

Comenzar desde el principio

He exhaled and tightened his hold on my hand. "You've been so jumpy and distant lately. It's hell not knowing what's wrong and hell knowing that there is something wrong and I can't do anything to help." He ran a hand through his hair. It took the will of every cell in my body to hold in my tears.

"Forest," he brought his hand up to gently turn my face towards his, "when you aren't happy, you tell me. I will give you your space, but you need to know that you aren't alone in this." There was sadness in his eyes. I bit my lip and threw my arms around his neck unable to stop the tears.

"I'll never leave you." He whispered. He stroked my hair as I cried and held me tight, allowing me to steal his warmth.

"You're so sweet and I," doubt, "I love you." I pushed the doubt aside and said the words that had been running across my mind the entire time he spoke.

He froze and pulled back, searching my eyes. His eyes widened. "I love you, Forest." The brightest smile lit his face. It was a smile that couldn't be compared to the golden rays of the sun or turquoise waves of the ocean. His smile was pure, true, real and so much more. Ineffable.

He kissed my neck murmuring those words over and over again.

I pulled away. "I'm sorry I've been distant lately. It's just been hard to focus and I'm paranoid and scared."

Aran tucked a stray hair behind me ear and let his fingers linger along my jaw. "I won't leave your side sweetheart, I won't let him get to you again." I nodded and snuggled into his chest, letting my eyes droop.

●●●

I was woken by a scream. It came from outside and echoed in through the open window of our room. I felt around for Aran but he wasn't in the bed. Loud cries followed making me flinch and stare out of the window as if I could see through the thick dark trees.

I slipped out of the bed and stuck my head out of the window. The cold wind caressed my face and calmed me until I once more heard the woman's screeches. But this time it was different. This time she called my name, with an achingly familiar voice. Mom?

Without a second thought I flew through the house and out the front door, using her screams as my guide. I came upon Mason hacking at my mother's body with a bloody knife. There was blood splattered all over him and he continued to stab ruthlessly with the hint of a smirk on his face.

"No!" I tried to run to them but strong arms held me back. My squirming and screaming and thrashing was of no use. Her screams continued....

I woke up flailing my arms and choking on my own fear and panic. Gentle hands were on my arms but my brain registered them as a threat, as the hands holding me back.

"No, please!" I cried.

"Forest. Forest! It's me, stop you are fine. It was just a dream. Forest!"

I calmed my racing heart and looked around me to find a dark room lit only by the moonlight that streamed in from the window and a concerned Aran beside me. I jumped toward the window and threw it opened, sticking my head out to make sure the screams I'd heard really were just a part of my twisted dream. I was grateful for the wind that blew across my sticky skin.

I turned to find Aran staring at me warily, his eye brows rose when I decided to speak. "Mason was stabbing my mom to death. I c-couldn't get to her, someone was holding me back. It was one of the visions he showed me when I was with him."

He opened his arms to me and I gladly let him gather me up.

"Oh Aran, the visions were horrible. You and Jacin were fighting each other, killing each other. In another one, someone was. . .torturing you. I was forced to watch and there was nothing I could do. Your screams were so loud." I clutched my ears.

"Shh, that won't happen." He clutched me tighter to him and planted a warm kiss on my head.

He may not have known it, but he was the only thing holding me together in that moment. My mind was running away from head, my heart was splintering like wood and the broken chips were imbedded in my body digging farther into me with each passing day.

But he stopped my heart from cracking further. He was my everlasting band-aid.

_______________________________
Yup, new chapter. Hope you liked it! Let me know by voting or commenting!