A New Addition

We take turns being lookout for the night. Finnick chooses to stay up with me as I take first watch. Boggs protested heavily but I was steadfast in my decision. I couldn't sleep anyways, not after Catherine just died for me. I could still see her open mouthed shocked expression at being impaled.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I sighed as I glanced out at the night sky. The air was cold and the slight breeze was kicking up dust. The stars were out and it reminded me of the time when Catora laid out on the grass drunkly and talked about not high in particular. I guess I smiled because Finnick asked me what I was thinking of. 

"After we came back from the first games, Catora and I.. We didn't talk much. We were both trying to cope with what we had done, everything we couldn't do, everything we had seen and.. She was also avoiding me."

"This was before you fell in love with her?" I nodded my head.

"Nobody really knew that we weren't together. Everyone fully believed we were a couple, so we kept up the facade in front of others but.. For a while, she hated me for not wanting to be with her. I, stupidly, had no idea she wanted to be with me. I thought she was just a really good actor."

"You're kind of dense.,

"I would say naive but sure." He chuckled. "Anyways, we were trying to be friends but she wasn't handling everything well. On top of finding out I thought it was just an act, she couldn't live with having killed a couple people and indirectly killing others, not saving Rue." Finnick nodded his head.

"She started drinking." It was more of a statement than a question.

"Sometimes whole bottles of wine. They were really diluted in our District though so she could drink maybe four bottles and only be a little buzzed." Finnick nodded. "There was one night in particular, I was supposed to come over and we would eat dinner and.. I found her outside, drunk and she was on the ground."

"Looking up at the stars." Finnick murmured, glancing out the busted down wall.

"Yeah... I knew she was drunk but I didn't want her to be angry at me so I didn't say anything at first." We were quiet for a little but Finnick had his rope again and he was tying and untying it slowly.

"When did you figure out that you loved her?"

"When she was all I could think about." I replied immediately.

"What do you mean?" I sighed.

"If you watched the program of what Catora and I did after the games, you saw that I'm an artist." Finnick nodded his head slowly. "When we came back from the games, I ordered art supplies to be shipped from the Capitol to me house. I knew I was good at art, I decorated all the cakes at the bakery but when I tried to paint.. I didn't know what to do."

"There was a painting of her, yeah I remember. Was that your first one?" I sighed.

"The first picture of many. For a while, she was all I could draw. Then I moved on to other things, what we had seen during the games, the people, the Capitol." Finnick laughed.

"You captured the President perfectly." I smiled to myself. I had painted him with a deep scowl on his face. Caesar had said it looked regal, I thought it made him look mean. "Too bad you.. Lost everything." I shook my head slowly.

"My house didn't get destroyed in the bombings. So I still have all those art supplies, the paintings, drawings.." I paused. "When this is all finished, I want to go back to that."

"You have more material to work with now." Finnick smiled a little. "And, hey, I'll even let you draw me sometime." I rolled my eyes at Finnick and leaned back against the wall I was next to. "You should get some rest Peeta, it's been a long day."