Chapter 2: Nowhere To Run

She turned her head, her heart constricting painfully in guilt as she watched him depart. This wasn't the first time she had blown him off in such a frustrated manner. She blamed it on the hospital not on him. Whenever they were in this environment and she was his lab rat, her vexation tended to run a little higher and their relationship could get a little touchy. She'd rather be any place right now besides here, even at the dentist. She had conquered that fear years ago, but her tolerance for doctors and hospitals was still very little, and her paranoia even greater. Sure, Michael had a way with her when it came to examining her and she allowed him to do so on a regular basis but in the privacy of his own home, not in a public medical office or hospital where she was around other doctors, nurses, and anxiety inducing equipment.

Grabbing the phone from beside the bed, she pressed "nine" then dialed Courtney's cell phone number. She answered on the third ring.

"You better tell me some good news, Michael," she said, her voice filled with concern

A soft chuckle escaped Amy. Everyone who knew Michael, especially Zack and Courtney, knew that if a call came from the hospital, this hospital in particular, it had to be from him and someone they knew had to be seriously hurt. "This isn't Michael, it's me."

"Oh, hey girl...wait, why are you calling me from the hospital?" She sighed deeply. "What happened?"

"I have an appendicitis and I need an operation, least that's what Michael said

"I have an appendicitis and I need an operation, least that's what Michael said."

It took Courtney a few long seconds to find her voice. "Oh my god..."

"But I'm getting out, and I need your help."

"Wait, what? What do you mean you're getting out? Please tell me you're not thinking what I think you're thinking."

"I'll give you forty bucks if you'll help me bust out of here."

"Forty bucks?" Courtney asked incredulously. "You want to pay me forty bucks to help you escape? Michael will kill me! Okay...well, not literally, obviously, he's too much of a sweetheart to do that but he's going to hate me for sure."

"He'll get over it. He always does, you know that. Just, bring me an extra set of clothes, some shoes, and come up to my room. I'm on the seventh floor, the second room on the left side of the hall. You should get here before eight because they'll probably want to make my surgery around that time."