Chapter XIX | Love in a War Zone

Benjamin sat on the living room couch, his eyes glued to the TV.  He was watching The Proposal on Netflix.  The main make character Andrew was obviously in love with Margaret.  She had unfortunately flown off to New York and went back to her office.  It was sort of like how things were between Ben and Regina.  He loved her so much, but was completely oblivious to the fact that she shared those feelings. 

   She had denied her feelings and he felt like she didn't have any to begin with.  Maybe he should quit and give up.  All those wasted tears was because he loved his best friend.  He felt ridiculous and ignorant to let himself fall for her charms, but he loved her so dearly.  He had never loved anyone in this way, it was the fuel that ran his broken heart.

   He just wanted to kiss her soft lips again, caress her cheek, and tell her how beautiful she was.  But he couldn't.   No one could take those feelings away and he would have to just deal with the pain.  He just wished that maybe she did have feelings for him and she's just scared.  But it was too late because tears had already fallen off his face.

   He took his hand and wiped them off, feeling the wetness on his hands.  It was almost as if he had a sixth sense and he turned around to see Zelena.  She had a concerned look on her face.  "Benjamin...why are you crying?" She asked, sitting next to him in the couch.

   He had gotten used to Zelena.  Although his speculations of her had faded he had grown fond of her.  He thought she deserved a happy ending as well, but she would just have to find it.  "N-nothing," he insisted.

   "Ben, I know Regina cares about you.  I care about you too, believe it or not.  This is about her, isn't it?"

   "Her?" He whispered.

   "Regina.  You love her and I know it.  It's okay to love my little sis," she said with a small smirk.

   "How could you know?" He asked as if his feelings weren't obvious.

   "Oh I don't know.  You stare endlessly into her eyes, you constantly touch her, you smile every time you see her, plus you've already told me you love her...shall I go on?"

   "Okay, okay.  I do love Regina.  But I know--never mind."

   "No, tell me!"

   "Look, I wanna see if Andrew and Margaret get together.  Now hush."

  Giving up, Zelena sighed and stomped up to her room like a teenager who's mad at their parents.  The red head rushed down the hallway until she saw her sister.  "Hey sis."

   "Hi Zelena," Regina said awkwardly.

  "You like anyone?"

   "This again?  I don't like anybody!"

   Zelena rolled her crystal blue eyes and got closer to her sister.  "Yes you do.  And he likes you back--a lot," she said.

   "Yeah and who is this admirer?"

   "Don't be a fool, Regina!  It's Ben!  Hello!!!  You know your really smoking hot bag of muscle friend?"

   Regina could barely breathe.  Her secret was out.  She's in love with Benjamin Ainsworth the town foreigner.  But something she didn't really expect was that Ben loved her.  She kind of felt that with their kiss, but she thought it was just a mere crush.  Clearly it was more than that.