Chapter XVI | A Cold Heart Melts

Ben pulled Regina closer into him as he rocked her, crying over her. Then her eyes fluttered open and she saw Ben crying into her shoulder. "Ben?" She said weakly.

"Regina! Oh my God!!" He shouted and hugged her so tight.

She chuckled and he saw that wonderful smile he always loved. The way her eyes wrinkle at the ends, the way her cheekbones stick out, or the way her eyes sparkle. "Did you really think I'd leave you?" She asked with a strained voice.

He laughed making his dimples appear but then his smile faded as he looked into the heartbroken eyes of Zelena. "I'm happy you're okay sis but..."

"I know," Regina said as she teared up. "What's Gold doing here?"

"I'm here to save you people. Now I suggest while they're gone that you say your goodbyes to your mother," Gold said and disappeared.

Regina struggled to get up but Ben helped her as they walked over to Cora. "Mother? I'm so sorry," Regina cried out and fell into Ben's arms.

"I'm sorry Regina. I'm so sorry you didn't get to say goodbye," he said and watched as Zelena broken down.

"But you never even got to say hello to your mother Ben," She argued into his shoulder.

"Hey shhh. It's alright," he insisted as tears filled his own eyes.

...

A Week Later

Regina allowed Zelena to stay at her house for as long as she liked. She takes in one of the spare bedrooms, next to Ben's bedroom. She noticed how close Regina and Ben had grown. They had grown really close. Zelena walked down the steps of the stairs. She entered the kitchen and saw Henry, Ben, and Regina.

"Good morning," Zelena said as she prepared her toast.

"Morning sis," Regina said as she averted her eyes from Ben.

He was staring at her...again. She didn't have any make-up on so she was completely natural and she was heart-stopping. If Ben was an emoji he would be a heart eyes staring at Regina. Henry continued to eat his cereal.

You could literally cut the tension with a knife between Ben and Regina. Every time they stared in each other's eyes it felt like an eternity to them. Regina wanted Ben so bad but she didn't have time to commit to a relationship. Somehow it would wound up in heartbreak and she wasn't ready for that.

~•~

"Regina can I talk to you?" Ben asked.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" She asked.

He sighed and took her hand, sitting down with her on the couch. "Regina I know I've said this before but I really mean it," he began and she could tell this was serious. "My mother died when I was born. I never got to meet her, see her, hear her voice, anything. I just lived in a shack with my brother and father. Then I found a friend named Cassius. He was my best friend and we had joined the local militia. He died because of a gang. They stabbed him I saw it, the blood, everything, I killed one of the gang members because I was so furious. I was kicked out of the militia and I went home to live with my father. I found out my brother betrayed us and stole all of our money. Then I became The Masked Peace. I was a vigilante and the king wanted my head for it. I came home one day and I found out my father had been killed by the king's orders. I became a bandit. I didn't give a damn anymore."