Chapter XII | Closer

Benjamin watched Regina disappear into the shrink's office. He hoped she'd be okay. He had her on speed dial which she had to teach him. She didn't know this but he snapped a picture of her for the contact pic. It was early morning, she had no makeup on and she was in loose clothing. In Benjamin's opinion that's when she was most beautiful. She was just herself and not all dolled-up.

"Please take a seat," Archie offered. "Would you like a drink? I have tea brewing or you could have some water?"

"Uh...tea's fine, thank you," she said as she sat down on the couch.

"So what's been going on Regina?"

"Well really they started after my friend Benjamin Ainsworth was kidnapped by my apparent sister--but she's probably half-sister since we look nothing alike. Anyways I've been having these nightmares about--about me--well the Evil Queen killing Henry or Ben," she struggled to say.

   Her breathing got sharper and Archie noticed.  "How often do you have these nightmares?"

   "Almost every night," she admitted.

   "Hm.  And what happens after you wake up?"

   "I feel so bad--I end up waking up Henry and Ben.  Sometimes it'll just be Ben that comes into my room and tries to calm me down and sometimes it's him and Henry."

   "Regina don't feel bad that you're waking them up.  It's not your fault you're having these dreams.  So is anything else happening?  You know what?  Tell me how you felt when you knew your friend was missing," he asked.

   Regina shifted in her seat, clearly uncomfortable.  Then the tea pot started to scream and Archie excused himself as went to tend to his tiny stove.  He poured two cups of tea and handed one to Regina.  She thanked him before speaking.  "Uh...I was very nervous.  I noticed that my breathing had gotten abnormal and my heart rate was sky high.  I also noted that my hands were clammy and they shook," she recalled.

   "Regina, have you ever had these symptoms before?"

   "Yes.  When Henry was missing and when he was--he was dying," she said with tears forming in her eyes. 

   "Have you had nightmares before Ben was kidnapped?"

   "Yes.  I had many before I adopted Henry.  Sometimes Graham the former sheriff would stay the night and I'd wake him up.  He told me to go back to sleep and that it was just a dream and not real.  But as the Evil Queen in the Enchanted Forest I had nightmares frequently.  I had a lot of them when I was married to King Leopold.  He-he raped me and I always had nightmares related to that and he taking advantage of me," she said as tears finally fell down her face.

   Archie had her a tissue box and she took a couple of the soft cotton wipes.  "Regina do you ever feel anxious or have extreme worry?"

   "Y-yes actually," she responded.

   "Do you ever fear that past events may happen again or that you're constantly reminded of them?"

   "Yes everyday."

   Concern grew on the cricket's face.  He adjusted his glasses and put his hands in his pockets.  "Regina," he addressed.  "I think you might have an anxiety disorder maybe even Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD," he explained.

   "Well is there anything to help with that?"

   "Yes I can prescribe you for an antidepressant called Anxiclokin (I made that up.)," he said, grabbing a yellow paper. 

   "And I would also avoid alcohol and cut down on caffeine intake," he said firmly and handed her the prescription.

  "Will do Archie, thank you," she said.