Chapter 9: Joker

I stared at him in shock. "What do you mean, 'truth'?" I asked him, not wanting to know. He sighed, "It all happened like, this. . ."

As he told me the story, the laughing shadow was painted in by his description. Bright green hair, glowing green eyes, pale white skin, and deep dark red lips. I could see it now. Another shadow brought out into daylight, but one still remains.

Batman told me about the Joker. How many lives were lost to him, the destruction he has caused, and the amount of times he has broken out of Arkham Asylum.

Tears started to build at the rim of my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I can't be weak, I have to stay fighting, for my mother.

So, after 8 years I find out who was the killer of my mother. Even though I witnessed my mom's death, I was unable to remember who exactly killed her.

I clenched my fists in fury, I pursed me lips into a hard line. I blinked rapidly, trying to push back the tears.

"Don't let him take you, Hailey!" my mom had told me. I remembered her goofy smile, her bright blue eyes that lit up the whole world. She could banish a thunderstorm just by smiling at it. Even though she cracked the cheesiest of jokes, she was still pretty funny. I remembered all those times that she would hang upside-down from something and stick her tongue out just to make me feel better.

Than, that's where my memory's draw a blank. I don't remember anything except waking up in a cell after that, but I did remember laughter. The cold dead laughter of Joker.

Now, that's the same laughter that bounced off the walls in the gardens. My eyes snapped open, I sprung up, looking around.

"My my, Bats!" a figure said, hiding from the light.

We all looked over towards the figure. My eyes grew wide. It was him. The same gas filled the room, and we all started to lose consciousness. The last thing I saw, was Joker walking over to me and staring into my sleepy eyes. "Night night, kiddo!" he said. Then I was out.