Chapter 1: Today

Today, my 14th birthday. "Happy birthday, Miss Hailey!" Alfred said with a smile, as I entered the kitchen. "Thank you, Alfred!" I said, thanking him. I crossed through the kitchen and entered the large dining hall.

A mountain of presents stood in the left corner, near the fireplace. The fire lit the room with a warm glow bouncing off the walls.

"Happy birthday, Hailey!" Bruce said smiling up at me. "How does it feel to be 14?" I shrugged my shoulders. "Older, I guess," I said chuckling. I looked over at Tim. He was facing the mountain of presents, and from what I was reading from his moving lips, he looked like he was counting. 15, 16, 17. . . I sat down across from Tim. Alfred walked in, pushing a cart with a giant cake. My mouth dropped open, Tim's did too.

The cake was at least 3 feet tall, with 6 layers. The frosting was red, black, and white. Mom. Those were her common colors. Red, black and white. The ends of my blond hair was died red and black in honor of her.

"NO FAIR!" Tim shouted. "HOW COME SHE GETS MORE PRESENTS THAN ME! SHE GETS A LARGE CAKE AND ALL I GET IS CUPCAKES! HER MOTHER ATTEMPTED TO KILL YOU!"

My mom. . . Tried to harm Bruce?

Let me explain a bit. . .  My mother, Harley Quinn, wasn't such a good guy either. Her story started back at Arkham Asylum, where she got an internship. From what I heard, she fell in love with one of the patients. She drove herself mad at the fear and sadness that was manipulated from the patient she fell in love with. The patient fed her lies. Lies that crushed her very soul.

She went from Harleen Quinzel, to Harley Quinn in one night. All I know is that the Batman chased her and the patient around a bit, sent them to Arkham Asylum, they break out and the cycle repeats.

While I was in my trance of thought, Bruce was whispering something into Tim's ear, but he wasn't putting down his gun, yet.

"Tch. Whatever, she got what was coming! If I was there, I would've laughed too!" We all stopped dead. My bottom lip began to tremble. Alfred stood shocked as he was lighting a candle. Bruce glared at Tim. "Apologize! NOW!" Tim just folded his arms. "Damn it, Tim! Apologize!" I didn't wait for an apology. If that's how he felt, then fine! I won't wait any longer. I blasted up from my seat and out the front door. "Hailey! Wait!" I heard Bruce call from behind me. I didn't wait. I ran to the one place I new I was welcome at.

I kept running, non stop. My legs ached. I've been running straight for 15 minutes. I finally reached it. An apartment building. I shimmied up the gutter on the side. I take gymnastics, so acrobatics is my thing.

I dropped down on top of a caged area. There were four grates on top. I hopped through one and landed on the ledge below. A tabby cat was sitting below a window that had very little light shining through. I knocked slightly on the window. A woman with jet black hair that was in a pixie cut, and green eyes poked her head out. "Hello," she said smiling down at me. "Everything okay?" she asked me. I shook my head.

The woman sighed and backed away from the window. "Come on in." I sprung up to the window and flipped in.