Chapter 4: Secrets Revealed

Barbara Gordon.

"Barbara?" I said through tears. "What are you doing here?" She rolled her wheelchair closer to my bed. "I came to tell you happy birthday," she said. She took my hands into hers. "Also, Bruce and I think it's time to tell you the truth. . ."

Truth about what?

Bruce came into my room. "Hailey?" he addressed me. "Before, we show you this. . ." he trailed off. "Please listen to the whole story." Barbara looking into my light blue eyes

"We don't want you to be angry with us. . ." she said looking down at the ground. "Why would I be angry with you?" I asked them, my eyes full of confusion. She didn't reply.

"Just. . . Follow us," Bruce said, walking out of my room. I followed Barbara and Bruce to the giant bookcase in the living room. Bruce reached for a book that had a dark red color, same color as the ends of my hair. He pulled it back and the bookcase split in half, revealing an elevator. So that's why you told me not to touch that book, I thought to myself.

Bruce, Barbara, and I entered the elevator. A single red button was on the wall and Bruce pressed it. I felt the elevator lurch as it started its path downward.

When the doors opened, so did my mouth. A cave, a huge cave. I looked around. I spotted a bat-like car and a bat-like jet. "Hailey," Bruce said. I turned to face him. He took a deep breath and said, "Bruce Wayne is Batman."

I stood awestruck. It all makes sense. . . All those times Bruce left at night was so he could go fight crime on the streets of Gotham. "Am I'm Robin," I heard another voice say. I turned on my heel and came face to face with Tim. Tim Drake is Robin, and Bruce Wayne is Batman. . . I looked at Barbara. "You're Batgirl, aren't you?" I asked her. She looked down. "I was Batgirl," she said, tears filling her eyes.

"She deserves to know the truth, Bruce," Barbara said not making eye contact. Her eyes remained on the floor. "If you insist, Barbara. Do you want me to tell her?" he asked. She nodded, slowly. Bruce took in a deep breath. "Barbara wasn't paralyzed from a car accident. . ." My eyes widened. "She was shot directly in the spine, by the same person who killed your mother."

It was too hard to take in. 2 people that I loved were harmed by the laughing man. I hope whoever that shadow was caught him, and gave him what he deserved.

"Is he dead?" I managed to choke out. Tears slid down my cheeks. Bruce sighed. "We don't know. After that day, he vanished. Haven't seen him in 8 years. . ." I balled my hands into fists. "I want him dead. . . HE DESERVES TO BE DEAD!" I dropped to my knees and buried my face in my hands.

I felt an arm go around me. When I looked up I saw that it belonged to Barbara. "Hailey," she said. "I know it's tough, but we can pull through this together." She rubbed my back. I sniffed and said, "He brought harm to 2 people I love." She hugged me tighter and I hugged her back. "I know, but that's a reason why we brought you down here."

"Hailey, we want you to be the next Batgirl," Bruce said.

"No," I said. They all looked at me in shock. "I refuse to take Barbara's place!" Barbara looked at me with wide eyes. "Hailey! Look at me, there needs to be a new Batgirl!" she said. I looked down at her and smiled. I took both her her hands into mine. "There already is one," I said smiling. She pulled me close to her and hugged me tight.

"I will join your side in crime fighting, though," I said. Bruce smiled at me. Tim raised an eyebrow. "Batgirl 2?" he asked. I punched him playfully on the arm. "Meet, Hailey Quinn," I said smiling.

"Okay, Hailey Quinn," Bruce said. "Trainings started tomorrow. You're already elite in gymnastics, so we'll start with martial arts." I nodded.

I promise mom, I will avenge you. . .