Chapter Twenty Three

((23/25 chapters done. 2 more to go.

It's been a pleasure being your author who is capable of giving you feels :3 If possible, I am actually considering writing a second book continuing off of this one. When they're older. Think of it like...Shippuden. Yea. That OnO

Anyways! After this fanfic is done, I'm moving onto my Kiba Inuzuka fanfic! ^^ So hopefully some of you will stick around then!

The second book to this might not be published for a while though. Maybe. I was thinking of writing the first story to all my fanfics first, then going back and writing the second books to them. What do you think? Should I do that? Or like...continue on right after I finish My Little Bird?

^^' Hopefully you readers will comment your opinions. It would really help.

As always, thanks for reading!

-Rei-chan))

~~

Remind me how it used to be,

Pictures in frames,

of kisses on cheeks

And say you want me~

~~

The walk down the darkened tunnel wasn't the number one place Neji wanted to be at the moment. Nor did Kira. Broken bones of beast experiments that just couldn't last laid against the stone walls, blood staining the floors echoing the last roars of battle. To live.

Isn't that what everyone wants?

Kira's small footsteps, daintily avoiding the sharp bones and bloody puddles, were the only things keeping Neji from speaking. They were soft little sounds, much to light and delicate in the dire situation they were in. He tried, constantly, to start up the conversation, mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, but he kept...distracting himself. Delaying his, their, much needed closure. And so all he could focus on was how graceful and soft her little footsteps were. Out of all things.

It was Kira that finally spoke up. "Do you have...any questions before we reach the surface?"

Questions? He had many. The will to speak. He had none. But he tried anyways. "You knew me when we were younger. Do you recall?"

"Not a lot. Not at all, about you in my childhood, actually. When I was six, I had to give my memories away." Kira answered in a worn out voice. So she did know him, in her past years. And he knew. The Headmaster knew from the very beginning, and he had sent her here to execute him anyways. She let out an exhausted sigh, crumbling little by little. Everything was edging at her. It was getting to her, ever so slightly. She was becoming less and less resilient to the punches thrown her way. She was starting to give in, and it hadn't even been a month into the Torture Trials. She could feel the waves of guilt, from everyone she had killed before. The tears, from every depressing moment in her life, were ready to break loose. And yet, when Neji noticed and softly touched her elbow, she took a step back. Recompose herself. And stayed strong. Because if he was only going to hate her, embarrass her, make her look as if she was there at his beck and call, then the only thing she could to to save what little self she had left was to be strong without him. And if not for her little shred of dignity, if not for her pride, then for her heart. And for her sanity. And for those two reasons alone, she will do what she has to do.

"I see you have many questions. You must have." Kira let the words slip off her tongue, rehearsed, practiced. She didn't believe she could get this far without stuttering, alas, but she did. "I'll try to answer them as best as I can. You're probably curious about this nightmare of an academy-"